Chapter 1: Cabin of the Witch

Chapter 1:

Cabin of the Witch

     Ansfrid although desperate would never think to approach the witches. They are far too cunning and wicked to be simply trusted.

     Witches are weak when it comes to brawns, but the spells and hexes they have on their grimoires were frightening enough to never cross path with them and earn their ire. Hence, they were abhorred then later pursued, causing their numbers to dwindle significantly and were expelled of their seat at the Council.

     He heard that Witches have ways to track someone regardless of their whereabouts. Ansfrid who once suffered from the barbarous werewolves thought that he lost all of his family on that village that night. But then he hears a fight emerged once again on that ruined place, a chime rang across the jungle, alerting the hunters and heralds that a deae donum was there that night.

     It was a complete chaos! Everyone who were living near that jungle made haste to capture the woman. They scared all prey and attracted the fury of the monsters living inside of that place. Amidst the appearance of the deae donum, many hunters were killed instead.

     Ansfrid gained hope by that news! This means that his sister is alive and well after all those years!

     And so, he left out of the comfort but cold air of the North, he stole some transport scrolls and defied the words of their Chief.

     After weeks of traversing lands, he finally had some clues of where to find a witch. It was Sybil, a famous independent witch. With no affiliation to any covens, she was the perfect candidate Ansfrid to seek services.

     There were secret covenants of course, but he wouldn't recklessly dare to trespass the territory of witches.

     And it would also seem idiotic to announce himself to every witches out there that his sibling is a deae donum and that he's searching for her. Sybil, the independent witch of the trees seems to be the most logical choice.

     She is indeed powerful but considering she refused to be a part of any covenant, Ansfrid could just silence her if things go south. One enemy is still better than a thousand.

     He carefully held the parchment paper that contains incantation in front of a door. There were carved symbols on it. Enclosed with a circle, there's a figure similar to a head of a bird with its beak open facing downwards, above its eye is a horizontal slash. There were also some rune symbols Ansfrid were unfamiliar about, but he couldn't care less at the moment.

     Gathering his courage, he knocked on the rotting door with the pattern he was instructed to do. He cautiously recited the texts written on the paper, making each symbol carved on the door brighten with a radiant blue.