Chapter 1

When Melanie first met Lewis Forrester, it was love at first sight. They could never get enough of one another. Having been married for the last 13 years, it seemed as if Melanie fell more and more in love with Lewis as the years continued to add onto their relationship. With no children and only two dogs, it was sometimes hard to know they had been together as long as they have and had not been able to build the family they had dreamed of and talked about when they first met. Finances were not the problem in their case, but the problems of conceiving. Melanie was not as fertile as she had hoped, and had already miscarried three of her and Lewis' children. Melanie was devastated with each blow, and after the third one, her and Lewis agreed to stop getting their hopes up, and discussed even adopting one day. However, that day has yet to come.

Lewis was the Vice President of one of the top firms in Washington D.C. He was well known for the dedication and as a long time worker. Starting at the bottom with only being an assistant, it only took him 5 years to get to that Vice President position, and he's so far had a positive impact on the lives he's come across. Lewis earned his Master's Degree in Business at Washington State University, which is where he met Melanie, who was studying culinary arts. While Lewis was making a difference as a VP at his firm, Melanie has opened 4 restaurants of her own across Washington, called Mel's Goods. The Forresters had both built stable lifestyles with one another, and for a long while, everything seemed ok. However, as a man, there were some things Lewis just couldn't successfully push to the back of his mind. When he left this earth, who would he leave his money to besides his wife? Who would take over her businesses? Who would keep their house? Who would make sure their finances were in order? In most cases such as theirs, they had nieces and nephews to look to. Yet Lewis still wondered how his day would light up if he had children waiting on him and happy to see him when he got home from work everyday. Of course their dogs showed them plenty of love, but sometimes it wasn't the same. On his off days, Lewis would love to take his son to the park to play sports, or his daughter to the mall and let her pick out whatever she wanted. Lewis felt as if he had all the money in the world, and no one to spend it on or share it with other than his wife. Due to these thoughts and feelings, Lewis started taking his coworkers up on the option to go to the bar after long work days to get drinks and let loose. That's when everything changed.