7

You and Levi had unexpectedly began to establish some kind of a routine.

Tuesdays and Thursdays had slowly designated themselves as the days that you two would walk together, mostly in comfortable silence with sporadic bursts of random conversation thrown in. 

At first you had asked him about his work, what classes he took, what people he was knew; tons of questions of that nature. You wanted to know more about who he was and why some people regarded him as being a cold nightmare of a man. No matter how hard you tried, you just couldn't see it.

On one of your walks, he admitted that he was majoring in some kind of engineering that he explained in sophisticated detail, but that went in one ear and out of the other. You just chose to acknowledge how smart he was. When you replied with your major, he raised his eyebrows in surprise. "We have that here?" you remember him asking. 

Eventually your conversations became more fluid, building on things you had learned about each other before. You found yourself discussing his close friends Hange and Erwin often, and in turn you would bring up your love for Sasha, Eren and Mikasa. You described Sasha's impression of him as "slightly less than desirable," to put it lightly. 

"I don't like group projects, nothing personal," he had responded, providing not one insightful detail on the situation. You remember Sasha rolling her eyes when you told her this at Founder's, spewing off insults as she spread cream cheese in thick layers on her bagel. 

It was your most recent walk just two days ago when things between the two of you had taken a turn. You had just left the library and it was still bright outside, having only been three pm. Despite this, you still asked Levi to walk with you. He made your walks worthwhile, which really said something.

You both had just passed a pond on campus that featured several rafts of ducks floating within it. It was a serene day and students were scattered all over the place, chatting and playing sports. You talked on and on about your favorite things and places and Levi listened as always. He was a great listener.

"Reader," he said gently, cutting right into the middle of your sentence about sequoia trees.

You stopped and looked at him in anticipation. "Yes?"

"Would you want to be my date to one of Hange's events tonight?" he asked, hands in his pockets. 

Your throat dried up and you cleared it. He could tell that his question shocked you.

"Date?" you repeated.

He looked around. "I don't see anyone else I'd be asking."

Your calm demeanor had shattered completely and you could feel your face heating up. "Don't you have other people you'd want to bring? Like that cowgirl?"

Levi let out a short breath like he was laughing. "She's not the kind of person I'd bring to one of these. She's a nice girl, but we aren't like that."

"And we are?" you asked. You sounded irritably confused, but truthfully you were more nervous than you could bear. You could probably stand to count to one hundred.

"Reader, if you can't tell I like being with you." 

You swallowed and felt your pulse speed up. You pressed two jittery fingers to the side of your neck to measure it. 

"Are you feeling your pulse?" he asked. Shit. You didn't think he'd really notice.

"What kind of thing is it that we'd be going to?" you asked, changing the subject.

"Some formal, I'm not entirely sure," he confessed, "but they told me I needed to find a date because they're technically going with Erwin. You were the first person I thought of."

"I'm shocked you aren't talking to like, thousands of other people that you could take to this," you admitted. 

He remained silent, looking you deep in the eyes. "Is it a yes or not?"

"No, yeah. Yes," you responded stumbling on your word choice.

He nodded and reached his arm out to yours gently grabbing your right wrist and pulling it to him. Your breath ceased in your throat and your heart dropped as you watched him pull a small paper out of his bag. "Invite only," he mentioned, placing the paper securely in your hand, "So don't loose it."

And as soon as it started it was over, your skin missing the feel of his almost instantly.

He finished walking you home and waved goodbye, mouthing the words 'see you tonight' as he walked away. You slid down the door as you shut yourself in your room, Rico peeking her head up from her desk.

"Reader?" she asked. 

"I have a date," you responded.