Chapter 5: Lighthouse

As the cameras began to roll, Ivy and I began to walk towards the lighthouse up the long sandy path. "How did you end up winning that last challenge?" I asked.

"They clearly saw me as the better acting partner," Ivy said as she glared at me.

"I bet you slept with one of them," I said. "That's the only way they'd vote for a snake like you."

Ivy rolled her eyes. "Real mature, I thought I was on a date with Violet, not Lina."

"Lina might have been on the right track," I said. "But she probably accused the wrong person. After all a backstabbing snake like you must also be willing to cheat."

Ivy scowled. "I can't believe you're still bent over that! It was part of the game!" 

"I didn't think you would stoop so low as to use me for your stupid game!" I shouted. "We had something special. It meant something to me."

Ivy rolled her eyes. "Like you wouldn't have voted me out the first chance you got. I bet you voted for me every time I was in the Bottom Two."

"Actually, I didn't," I said. "I didn't vote for you a single time. And I never would have. Because that's what friends do. They support each other."

Ivy turned to me. "Last time I checked it's America's Most Eligible, not America's Most Friends."

I glared at Ivy. "Yeah imagine having a partner who turns on you the second they can. That makes you real eligible."

We headed up the lighthouse, continuing to argue. The more we argued though, the more I began to feel uneasy. I knew we had planned all this. I knew this was my idea. But some of the stuff began to feel too real. I felt numb again. I felt. Broken. 

And then Ivy said. "I'm glad I eliminated you the first time! And I'd do it again!"

It was a trigger, a snap. And suddenly, I whipped around and got up in Ivy's face. "I'll never forgive you for what you did."

I could see Ivy's face change. Suddenly what was planned and fake became too real as I stormed down the stairs again. I felt my chest pounding. That wasn't planned. That just... happened. I didn't mean it. Did I? I knew the truth. I knew why Ivy did everything. So... why did it still hurt?

Piper had a big smile on her face as she ate up all of the drama. But suddenly as I reached the shoreline, Ivy raced up behind me. "Violet, wait!" Ivy called out. "Please, wait. Don't leave."

I stopped in my tracks as I looked out to the horizon as the sun was barely beginning to lower creating a gorgeous shine through the clouds, an yellow hue. "What do you want, Ivy?" I said. "You hurt me. Isn't that what you wanted? Didn't you get what you wanted?"

I shut my eyes. I reminded myself of the plan. That this was all just fake. Ivy faltered. The cameras were still rolling. I knew what she wanted to do. But she couldn't.

"I... I'm sorry," she said. "I know I hurt you. I know I messed up. I played the game. I did everything to win. But I... I made a mistake. Because by betraying you. By playing the game. I lost what mattered most to me. Your trust."

I turned around slowly as I saw the genuine look Ivy was giving me. We were on camera. Supposed to be rivals. Supposed to be enemies. Thousands, millions of fans were watching all of this, or at least would eventually watch it. "Ivy... I..."

Ivy stepped forward and grabbed my hands, pulling me close to her, pressing her forehead against mine. "I'm sorry," she whispered. 

"I... I forgive you," I said as I felt my heart skip. "I..."

It all happened naturally. I let it happen naturally. As our lips touched it was a soft kiss, the wind blew just enough, the lightning was all just enough to make the shot perfect as we kissed in front of all of America. A genuine, real kiss mixed among all the fakeness. 

It still hurt. But maybe... maybe that was okay. Because with time... maybe it would heal. 

"Cut," Jen said. "Amazing work you two."

Suddenly we were swept back to reality. We parted ways and looked surprised. "I... we... uh..."

Piper looked pleased for a change. "The drama. The love. America will love it."

And with that, we headed back home. Soon, we were alone once more. "Violet..." Ivy said as she shut the door behind her. "We need to talk..."

I nodded as I processed the day's events. Talk. That sounded like a really good idea.

"Yeah... we do..." I said.