Chapter 8: First Assignment part 1

(Liebe's p.o.v.)

  It's been 2 weeks since Asta and I started studying at the Makai Arts Academy, and we've become quite adept at fighting with in our Hagane armor. As we practiced using it, Rafael informed us of the drawbacks with using the armor, mainly being that one could only don the armor for 99.9 seconds, no longer. The reason for this is because it would do one of two things: consume the wearer or, if influenced by their inner darkness, turn them into what is known as Lost Soul Beasts. The latter occurrence is a topic for another time.

On to a more interesting topic, during the 2 weeks we've been training at the Academy, I've noticed that Asta has been getting along very well with that elf girl, Leafa. That made it all the more fun to tease them. Currently, we were approached by her with her hands behind her back and she said, "Hey Asta, Liebe. How are you two doing today?" Asta replied, "We're doing good, thanks for asking." "There's something I need to give you." She handed us a crimson envelope, branded with a wax seal.

Asta took it and asked, "What's this?" I mischievously asked her, "Let me guess, it's a love letter from you to Asta?" They both turned redder than the envelope and Leafa responded with an embarrassed tone, "No, you idiot! It's an Orders Document!...

Asta took it and asked, "What's this?" I mischievously asked her, "Let me guess, it's a love letter from you to Asta?" They both turned redder than the envelope and Leafa responded with an embarrassed tone, "No, you idiot! It's an Orders Document! You've both been given a mission by the Watch Dogs!" Asta and I were surprised to hear this as we knew what she meant.

  The Watch Dogs are magical being who delegate the missions of the Makai Knights and Priests, and an Orders Document is a letter sent by the Watch Dogs to the Knights. Leafa explained after she calmed down, "The Watch Dogs had heard about your progress and decided to send you two on a mission, consider it a field trip lesson. Normally, you wouldn't be sent out on missions so early, but given that you already had the skills and means to defeat Horrors, the higher-ups decided to make an exception. So, they sent it to the Headmaster, and he asked me to deliver it to you since I was there when he received it." I asked, "So, what's the job?" Asta pulled out what looked like a cigarette lighter, but it was different as it's design resembled a demonic.

  This is called a Mado Lighter, a special tool that's used mostly to detect Horrors

  This is called a Mado Lighter, a special tool that's used mostly to detect Horrors. If the flames of the lighter are ignited in front of someone who's possessed, markings will appear in their eyes, signifying that they are a Horror. When we received our Hagane armor, we each were given one of these lighters, and the Priests who did explained what they were used for. One of their uses involves the Orders Documents.