Chapter 4 - Money Procurement 2

"Thanks, boss. Here's a tip." I thanked the taxi driver and handed over a total of 220 LMD; the extra 20 was a tip.

"Thank you." The taxi driver, who had fluffy wolf ears upon closer inspection, thanked me and swiftly left.

Leaving that aside, I turned my attention to the dense and decrepit slums of Lungmen. The difference was night and day compared to the inner city of Lungmen.

"Such a glorious city hides such a dark secret," Zhongli murmured as he observed the surroundings.

"No, it's not hidden, seeing how easy it was to get here," I replied.

As we walked around the slums, the scene of rotten corpses made Rimuru and Jinwoo gag a few times. I didn't blame them; the smell was somehow worse than sewer goo.

"Let's quickly find our target and leave this place," Rimuru said as he frowned at our surroundings. This was the deepest part of the slum, so we got the worst of it.

I didn't know why I felt so surprised when having somewhat normal human interactions with the group. I guess my expectations for interactions were lowered by a certain rude system.

I hope the system can't read minds.

"So, who will be our target?" Jinwoo asked.

"Alright, our target is... How about a leader Sarkaz mercenary? The bounty reward is- 750K LMD!!" I checked my phone with my eyeballs popping out at the top bounty.

The reward money was triple what I had on hand right now! If we capture this guy alive, then the quest will be completed in no time!

"If the price is so high, it must mean this mercenary is highly dangerous." Zhongli reasoned, bringing me back to reality.

"True, but this is still too tempting. Let's stick together and patrol the slums for now. Hopefully, we can catch this big fish. If not, then we can always try for easier targets." I replied as I put my phone away.

First, we tried asking some locals. However, after we mentioned the LGD, we were kicked from the district with all sorts of things thrown at us. I guess the LGD wasn't particularly popular.

As we continued our search around the slums, which was strangely empty, we happened to chance upon a group of weirdly dressed individuals armed with swords and crossbows.

"Hey, let's ask those guys in the white uniform. They might be slum patrol or something like that." Rimuru said as he pointed at the group of armed men in full white.

We nodded and approached the armed men, who were gathered in a circle discussing something. It felt a bit off, but people in uniform are usually good, right?

"Hey! Could you help us with something?" I shouted from a distance, catching the attention of the group. Sadly, instead of a standard reply, I was greeted with crossbows and swords pointed at my head. These people weren't very friendly.

"Woah there, calm down!" I tried to de-escalate, raising both of my arms to show that I wasn't a threat.

"Who are you?" One of the men who wielded a blade asked.

"We just want to ask if you've seen this guy," I said, pulling out my phone and pointing at a photo of a tall horned man in all black.

"Answer my question." The man harshly shouted, waving his blade towards me.

Were government officials usually this rude? Or rather, are they even government workers?

"I'm... uh, a bounty hunter?" I nervously replied. Amnesia is being a bitch again.