Chapter 5 - Befriend

A blond girl was beside me. She was staring at me nicely.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up" she said slowly.

I suddenly recognized her. She was the fighting girl from before! She had a beautiful cute face with big blue eyes and a small nose. She was wearing an apron with her blue dress and she had a little ribbon in her hair. She must be a role-holder, I thought, remembering Nightmare's explication. I stretched myself sleepily and answered her:

"No, it's okay, I would have woken up soon anyway."

"I am Alice Lindell," she presented. "I saw you in the library's window and I wanted to know if you were a new role-holder," she finished. Her face was concerned, as if she was afraid that something terrible might have happened.

"No, I'm..." What was the name again? "I am an outsider. My name is Zoe Marshall.

Her eyes grew big of surprise.

"Really?"

"Yeah, that's what Nightmare told me anyway."

"Nightmare? Alice frowned. " He brought you here?"

"No, a guy named Jack did. I fell in a dark hole after he pushed me, and suddenly ended up here."

She took my shoulders, locked her eyes into mine and asked in a extremely serious voice:

"Did he make you drink anything?"

"No, why?" I said, surprised. I was a bit scared of her reaction. What if I had drank something?

Alice let out a sigh of relief and let me go.

"Thank God," she muttered.

"Are you feeling alright, Miss Lindell?" I asked, worried. I hoped I hadn't met someone crazy. I mean what's the deal about me drinking? if I'm thirsty, I drink, crazy women or not.

"Yes, I'm sorry, you must feel lost after being in another strange land."

"No, I'm... fine. I found a map of this world and Nightmare explained to me the basics." I smiled and she smiled back .

Maybe she was sane after all.

"But do you have a place to live? I guess you ran into someone before me, but if you want you can come live at the Hatter's mansion."

"Really? I don't want to cause any trouble ."

"Don't worry, I am an outsider myself. I came here a year ago and decided to stay. I know exactly what you are going through, don't worry. I'll help you with pleasure. Things would have been much easier for me if I had had a guide"

"Then I accept, thank you."

So she was like me. But why did she stay? She must have a family in the real world! Maybe the life here is more pleasant than I thought. I was glad she helped me. I have made my first friend.

We walked outside the library and joined the twins that I had seen fight with Alice.

"This is Dee, and this is Dum," presented Alice, pointing the twins.

One had red eyes, the other blue eyes and they had uniform matching them. They were completely identical aside from their eyes. Their hair was black-green, a little darker than seaweed. Finally, they were around 10 years old and were completely adorable.

"They work as guards at the Mansion, and sometimes bodyguard me," continued Alice.

I presented myself to the boys. They were role-holders too. I wondered what their role was. The twins looked really surprised that I was an outsider.

"Big sis, don't you think it's weird to have two outsiders in such a close time?" said one.

"Yeah sometimes we don't even meet one in a full lifetime." said the other twin.

"True, but what can we do about it. She can leave whenever she wants after all."

"Really," I said surprised.

"If you are here, it's because you wished to be here," Alice responded.

Nightmare had said something like that too. I was pretty sure I hadn't wished to change worlds has sudden as that, but it was fun and different. So I enjoyed being here, on an adventure. It was just like in the movies, but this time, it was for real. "I'll stay here for a little bit more," I thought .

We started walking to get out of town. The twins were really chatty and excited; they kept talking about a surprise with Alice.

"What are you talking about? "I asked. Alice blushed.

"I'm getting married next week. The twins helped me choose my bride dress. My fiancé will only see it at our wedding."

I smiled as a response.

"That's why she stayed," I guessed, "She fell in love with someone here."

It's something that will probably never happen to me. I'm too average. I have medium-long brown hair, green eyes, and I was of average height. I wasn't particularly thin, or fat. I was normal. Alice was beautiful, and I was plain. I could see why everyone liked her: she was nice, sweet, intelligent and beautiful.

I didn't like to talk a lot, not like her. I was always lost in thoughts. I didn't really have any close friends in the real world because of my quiet nature. Though I considered myself smart and kind of quick-witted, no one was close enough to me to know it. Wow, it sounds like I pity myself, I realized. My life wasn't as sad as what I said before. I do enjoy being alone.

"You are not a big talker, are you?" asked nicely Alice.

"No," I said as I shook my head. I wasn't close enough to her to open up. I still didn't trust her entirely. "So we are going to the Hatter's Mansion?"

"Yeah," said one of the twins. (I think Dee but I'm not sure.) "They're you c-"

"AAAALIIICEEE! WAIT UP!" screamed someone behind me.