Chapter 10 - Heal

I woke up at an awful noise. It was destroying my ears. I opened my eyes and sat on the infirmary's bed.

A man about 40 years old was between me and Jack's bed. I could only see the man's back, and he was hiding Jack. I could only see a little bit of his funky black hair. I couldn't know if he was okay. The terrible sound was heard again. I covered my ears. The man hummed and turned on himself. He was playing a violin. That's the noise I heard, I realized. The man noticed me and stopped playing.

"Oh, did my hymn to joy wake you up?" he asked, a big smile on his lips.

He had a short light-brown braid, brown eyes, and the beginning of a beard.

"Yeah, you could say that..." I answered. I slowly put my hands down, hoping he wouldn't start playing again.

"Want me to play a song to cheer ya up?" He nicely proposed. "You seem kinda gloomy."

I shook my head vigorously and got out of bed. I got around the musician and went beside Jack. He was sleeping, bandages covering every inch of his chest and shoulders. He was still pale, but he looked a lot better than yesterday. Thank god! He had survived. I felt a wave of relief in my body. I let out a sigh of contentment.

"Are you one of Jack's friends?" asked the man. He sounded surprised.

"Uhm, yes."

I hadn't met him long ago, appreciated Jack. He didn't lie and said clearly what he was thinking. Elliot was honest too, but I had a strange feeling about him. That his boss tried to kill me didn't help at all. I wasn't sure I could trust Elliot anymore. Did he receive orders to kill me? I focused myself on Jack. Jack had always been nice and friendly, even if he left me alone to wander in another world. It was sure fun to discover a new world, except when my life is in danger. But when it was, Jack had come save me...

Jack had protected me when Blood tried to kill us. And at what price... I hoped he hadn't been injured definitely.

"I didn't know Jack had any friends," continued the man, according his violin.

"What do you mean?"

It seemed impossible someone like Jack didn't have any friends. This world was full of people!

"Every since he got this role, he was depressed and wouldn't talk to others. But the last two days, he was happier and more smiling than I've never seen him before."

The last two days... That would be right about the time I arrived! Was I so much fun that he wasn't depressed anymore? Still... Why was he sad?

"Oh dear!" exclaimed the musician.

"What is it?"

"I forgot to ask for your name! It is so unworthy of an Amusement Park director!

He made a drama face and played a couple of noted on the violin. Strangely, it was beautiful! Nothing like I had heard before.

"No, still not right..." he muttered. He adjusted his violin again. When he played again, the terrible notes from before came back. "There! Perfect! I am Gowland, by the way."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Zoe Marshall."

"Welcome, Zoe, to my Amusement Park! I know you-"

Gowland wanted to continue, but a faceless man dressed eccentrically -there seemed to be...antennas? to his costume- came inside the infirmary and whispered something I didn't hear to Gowland.

"Oh my," said Gowland. He had a worried look on his face. "I'm sorry Miss, but one of my attractions had a little problem and I have to repair it. See ya later!"