the tenth chord - "bubble"

"Thank you for coming to get me," Alaeca said, picking off the last of the tomatoes from her silver rimmed plate. Hagel stood near the doorway with his hands entwined in front of him. "It's not a problem."

                Mind at ease after a fulfilling meal, the golden light bathing the dining hall was no longer icy to her skin. Alaeca looked into Hagel's sombre visage. "You look like you have something to say."

                His clear forehead twitched. She patiently waited for his reply. Hagel took an uncertain step forward, shoulders sinking with a deep breath. "Lady Taneiya... did she offend you, my queen?"

                "Why do you ask?"

                "You looked very troubled."

                Alaeca sipped the herbal tea sitting in front of her while drawing in its thick floral scent. Warm, kind, powerful – it made her as tranquil as a clear sky. She closed her eyes. Even though she did have many questions, Alaeca stopped herself from prodding for answers in the roundabout manner she was notorious for in Fyndan. "I'm alright now. She didn't mean any harm... Shouldn't you be returning?"

                He glanced over his shoulder. "Yes. Before I go... I also wanted you to know that I've put aside bottles of moondrop extract – as you requested."

                Alaeca's spirit resurfaced. "Do you think I could use the kitchen right now? I won't be long."

                Hagel took a graceful bow. "You are free to do as you please."

                Palms pressed together, she and Hagel went on their way. It was odd that she felt so relaxed, when an hour ago she had almost drowned of doubt and fear. She could hear Taneiya's voice echo inside her skull, but it left but a twinge in her chest.

                Alaeca was jolly even when the kitchen staff was cold and quiet. Hagel returned to his duties after helping her procure the ingredients. Without a look in anyone's direction, she covered the dried berries with cold syrup and heated them till the liquid evaporated. In a large bowl, she eyeballed a fair amount of moondrop extract and covered it with the herbs that Hagel brought for her. She heaped the berries into the mixture, and after the components were evenly distributed, piled the blend into a large jar.

                She'd picked a large teapot of midnight blue and starry white.

                In those few hours, Alaeca was alone and happy.

                -

                "And then he had the nerve to tell me I'm a forgotten man!"

                The animated old man fell a few steps behind Arventh. There was nothing as amusing as having Ronov complain for the sake of complaining, even though snide remarks never got through to Ronov's head. Arventh stepped out into the open field, his eyes scanning the uneven rows of men. The soldiers bowed respectfully when they saw him approach, but otherwise continued in sync. Men chattered, blades collided.

                "Why are you here?"

                The training men became more distant. Arventh smirked, "For you."

                Rivex narrowed his eyes, dropping a thick blade on the ground. A pair of brown gloves fell near its hilt. Rivex ran his fingers through his hair, taking along the strands matted against sweaty skin. "So? What do you want?"