the fifth chord - "discouragement"

Royal Palace of Xindin: 168 of Karraien Calender

                "I can unpack by myself," Alaeca put a hand on the young girl's shoulder. The maid flinched at her unexpected touch, and without a word, stepped away from the trunks. Alaeca simply watched. "What's your name?"

                "Yuna, my lady."

                "How old are you?"

                "Sixteen years."

                Yuna stared at her with pressed lips, as if something was trying to pry them open. Alaeca unlocked her trunks, opening all three at once. "You can speak freely if we're alone, Yuna. Neither of us will get into trouble that way. You look like you have something to say."

                The other maids – excepting Borel – had fulfilled their duties without a glance in her direction. When she addressed them, they spoke curtly. Yuna was the youngest maid at her service, and judging from the girl's stiff shoulders and hesitant movements, it was safe to assume that she was a new worker.

                "I..." Yuna began. Alaeca waited patiently. Barring her simple clothes, the girl was a beauty. She sported large, round eyes and an aura that could compel any creature. Yuna swallowed. "I... I love my queen's hair. And voice. Everything. My queen is beautiful."

                The maid's words were akin to a splash of icy water on her face. She called me her queen. The innocent admiration behind it raised her spirits. A sense of accomplishment rang within Alaeca. "Thank you. It's strange to hear that. I find your people far more beautiful than mine."

                Yuna seemed to relax. Alaeca put aside the articles of clothing she had brought to Xindin, "Put those in the closet, please."

                She obeyed. After a few minutes, Alaeca's hands moved almost mechanically, removing and sorting items into piles along the thick, warm carpet. She had slept well, and no one had disturbed her. Nine hours of rest were plenty. Since the king was occupied and probably wouldn't call for her that day, she was resolved to empty her trunks at any cost with Yuna's help.

                That morning, Alaeca's breakfast had been served in her personal chambers. She couldn't have complained about the food even if she tried. Nor could she fret about her living space. There were two interconnected rooms – a bedroom and study. Her bedroom was the largest, and where her closet and bathroom were located.

                When the trunks were empty, she pushed them to a corner and helped Yuna hang the remaining dresses. Horrified, Yuna vigorously shook her head. "I'll call Elle and Phole to help, my queen!"

                Elle and Phole. Alaeca laughed. "I have nothing better to do. It's alright."

                "Absolutely not!" Yuna insisted, standing in between Alaeca and the closet. The older woman sighed and conceded. "I'll handle my personal belongings in the meantime, then."

                Yuna gave her a bright smile. Alaeca ran her gaze over the piles of books, diaries, trinkets, and chests of jewellery. This would certainly occupy her time. Alaeca set the chests along the wide, marble dressing table, keeping her eye on Yuna in the mirror. "Where would the king be right now?"

                Without hesitation, she replied, "His Majesty will probably be in his study with the Overseer."

                Overseer. The way both Rivex and Yuna used the term, it was evidently a label of authority. She had studied Xindin's hierarchical system thoroughly. There were several Overseers – one stationed in each region of Xindin, who were headed by the king himself. Responsible for maintaining order and handling their assigned region's affairs, the Overseers filtered every report and determined which were important enough to reach the king. Because of this, each Overseer frequented the palace to brief the king of his or her region's affairs. However, an Overseer was forbidden to make critical decisions, such as bargains or dealings with other countries, without the ruler's written approval.