004

september 13th, 2022

marley got ready because their were team meetings today. she hasn't talked to sam, or anyone else that was at that party since it happened.

"marley," zach said. zach took a seat in the meeting room. "you're early."

"usually am," marley said with a light chuckle. "i'm going to go the bathroom before we start." she didn't have to go, she just didn't want zach to bring up sunday night.

when she was on her way to the bathroom, she ran into sam. she went to keep walking, decided against it.

"i need to talk to you." marley said.

"about what?" sam asked as if sunday night didn't happen.

"sunday night." marley said. he looked confused, like he didn't know what she was talking about. he didn't remember? "at the bar." she said trying to recall his memory.

"i don't remember much, i was drunk." sam said. that was a lie. he remembers everything when he's drunk.

"you said something to me." marley said.

"i say crazy things when i'm drunk." sam said. that was also a lie, he always tells the truth when he is drunk.

"stop lying to me." marley said rolling her eyes, walking back to the meeting room. she knew he was lying and he knew it too.

"okay, so marley, have you started coming up with any more plays?" zach asked.

"i have some, i was also wondering if i should make some for defense too?" marley asked.

"yeah, that would be great. that play you called was amazing." lou anarumo, the defensive coordinator for the bengals said.

"should we put them in the playbook?" troy walters asked, he's the quarterback coach.

"maybe we should get a new one, just for marley's plays." brian callahan, the offensive coordinator suggested.

"the plays should be done and on paper within the next couple of weeks." marley said.

"okay, that's good. we'll starting repping them soon." zach said.

each coach left and went to have a meeting with their respective groups.

zach and marley had to have a meeting with the team leaders about their plans for the playbook.

they walked in and the team leaders, joe burrow and joe mixon, vonn bell, ted karras, dj reader, micheal thomas, and last but not least, sam hubbard were already sitting down in the room.

"so, marley obviously came up with play that tied the game on sunday, so i asked her to come up with some more plays." zach said.

"all the other coaches are on board with it, i don't know if they mentioned it to you or not." zach said.

"just offensive plays?" vonn bell asked.

"no, offense, defense, special teams." zach said. "we'll start repping them in a couple of weeks once their done."

"they'll be on paper, they'll look just like any other play design." marley said. "they'll be in a separate book too."

"they play we ran on sunday, that will be in there?" joe burrow asked.

"yeah, i have some other ideas. for defense, i got some for blitzes and qb sneaks." marley said.

the group continued to talk about possible plays, everyone contributed to the conversation except for sam.

marley noticed, but if he couldn't keep his personal life separate from his job, that's his problem.

• • •

marley went home and started working on the plays, she hoped they would be done before practice tomorrow.

she got her coffee and sat down in her office coming up with some plays.

the play she called during the game was the first one she drew, since she already knew the play.

she made a couple of plays for blitzes and third downs for defense and blitzes and third downs for offense as well.

by the time she finished, and checked her phone it was already 11 at night. the facility was practically empty.

"marley?" sam asked. what was he doing here still? "what are you doing here?"

"i could ask you the same thing." marley replied.

"i was working out." sam said. "what about you?"

"drawing up plays." marley replied.

"the whole time?" sam asked. "that was five hours ago. when i went to leave, you were doing the same thing."

"is not that big of a deal." marley said.

"have you eaten?" sam asked. why did he have a sudden concern for her well being?

"uh, i ate before the team meetings today." marley said.

"marley. that was 12 hours ago." sam said.

"it's not that big of a deal, i'm not even hungry. chill out, i'm fine." marley said walking away.

"see, that's your problem." sam said making marley turn around. "any time someone remotely shows care for you, you push them away. it's like your scared of feelings."

"me, scared of feelings?" marley said. "funny for you to say. you told me that you liked me, tried to kiss me, then pretend it doesn't happen."

"and the funny thing is, your excuse is that you don't remember things when you're drunk and you told the truth." marley said. "when that same day, you told me the exact opposite."

"what does it matter? you were just going to push me away anyways." sam said.

"are you just going to argue with me or are you going to make a valuable point?" marley said, sam didn't say anything. "i'm leaving."

marley went to walk out of the workout room, the door wouldn't budge. she pulled it, pushed it, it wouldn't open.

sam rolled his eyes and tried to open the door, it didn't open. "stop messing around and open the door." marley said.

"i didn't lock it, i swear." sam said. marley was already frustrated enough.

a note was pushed under the door. what is this, a netflix thriller?

sam and mar,

i know you both are probably mad, and this was supposed to happen a different way but you both just so happen to be in a room together. you are locked in here for an hour and hopefully you work out your feelings by then.

joe, jamar, trey, and mike

-p.s. sorry again :)

"seriously." sam said. "what are we supposed to do?"

"i am going to sit in here for an hour and not talk to you." marley said sitting down. she heard her stomach growl.

"so you are hungry?" sam said. "i hate to say i told you so, but i told you so."

this is going to be the longest hour of marley brown's life.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

period ah period uh