005

september 13th, 2022

"i'm sorry." sam said. "for," he said before marley cut him off.

"being a jerk?" marley said.

"well, yeah." sam said, scratching the back of his head.

"i'm sorry too," marley said. "i didn't mean to hurt your feelings and you're right anyways, i do tend to push people away and i don't know how to stop."

"just let people in." sam said. "it's easier said than done, though."

"i don't think we should've give them the satisfaction of letting them know this worked." sam said.

"what worked? i still hate you." marley said teasingly.

"okay, that's far." sam said. "you don't hate me."

"nope, i hate you." marley said, turning her head away from sam.

"you know you love me." sam said. marley was glad sam couldn't see her face, or else he would see the red tint to it.

marley collected her thoughts. "whatever helps you sleep at night." she said back.

"it helps me sleep at night." sam said.

"are you flirting with me?" marley asked, it was a joke, but sam's response definitely wasn't.

"when am i not flirting with you?" sam asked.

"we work together, you can't do that." marley said.

"that doesn't stop jamar." sam said. he did have a point, but that's different.

"jamar is 22, i'm five years older than him." marley said. "and plus, he's just joking."

"how long have we been in here for?" sam asked.

"uh," marley checked her phone. "like 45 minutes, why?"

"i've been thinking." sam said. "when the season is over, and we're just chilling with the lombardi, i'm gonna get a new car, deck it out, and go on a trip."

"i don't know where, but like the world's calling." sam said. marley was wondering where this was coming from. "name a place."

"mmm, spain." marley said.

"after spain, south america or south africa." sam said.

"you'll go to south africa?" marley asked.

"one of the south places." sam said shrugging his shoulders. "then micronesia and then, just chill out."

"whenever the land take you, you know?" sam said.

"so that's the plan if we were to win the superbowl." marley asked. his plan sounded crazy. "that's the dream, a world tour?"

"yeah, and not if, when we win the superbowl." sam said. "we're going to win it all this year, i know it."

"got room for one more?" marley asked, this trip sounded fun.

"you have your passport?" sam asked, marley nodded. "well then it's happening."

"it's been an hour." marley said. "this totally didn't work." sam nodded.

"did it work?" mike asked hopefully opening the door.

"not one bit." marley said, crossing her arms.

"not at all." sam said, winking at marley.

"are you mad?" trey asked.

"very." marley and sam said in unison. marley parted ways with sam and walked back to her car.

• • •

september 14th, 2022 (i went to a harry concert that day at msg :) it was amazing)

marley woke up, and got ready like usual. the team had practice today. she grabbed the plays she made and drove to the facility.

"marley barley." jamar said. "what do you think of it?"

"it's stupid." marley said. "it would be great if you never called me that again."

they were walking into the facility together. "joe told me about the plays you made. do i have any big ones?" jamar asked.

"i didn't design the plays by player." marley said.

"but you made one for sam." jamar said, he ran off before marley could say anything else.

marley rolled her eyes. "morning." marley said to zach and the other coaches.

she handed zach the plays she made. "these aren't all of them, just a couple." she said.

"i don't think any of us expected you to have these done so fast." lou said. zach passed them around.

"marley barley!" james yelled, trying to get a reaction out of marley.

"laps, all of you, now." marley said, continuing her conversation with the coaches.

"but i didn't even do anything, only jamar did." trey said, trying to help the rest of the team.

"too bad, 3 laps." marley said. "whoever comes in first gets lunch on me."

that got them all running. marley was watching them run, making sure they didn't cheat and to see who came in first.

"is the lunch with you or on you?" jamar asked, while running.

"depends." marley said.

"depends on if sam wins or not is what she means!" mike said.

"add an extra lap." marley said.

"my bets are on sam." zach said, he looks like he was running faster than before.

"i'm gonna clock him." lou said.

on the next lap, lou clocked sam, he was in the lead and running 20 miles per hour. that was fast for him, usually he can only get 17.

zach whistled, initiating the end of the race. "sam won." zach said.

"how did sam hubbard out run me?" jamar asked, the rest of the wide receivers agreed.

"that's what i'm saying." samaje perine said, him and joe mixon are playing a running position.

"sorry i'm just well rounded." sam said, he was out of breath a little.

"kick a field goal then." evan said.

"i would also like to see you punt a ball." the special teams coach said.

"okay, didn't say i was that well rounded." sam said.

"do you have any birthday plans?" zach asked, marley didn't really bring up her birthday much.

"no, we have practice, and i don't usually do anything on my birthday." marley said. her birthday is on friday.

"28 is a special number." lou argued.

"it really isn't." marley said shaking her head. "i'm only going to be 28."

"you have to celebrate every year that you live on this earth." zach said.

"woah, zach attack." marley said. she always said that when zach said something surprisingly inspirational.

"maybe i'll buy a cupcake tomorrow." marley said.

"i will bet that you won't." lou said.

marley knew he was right so she didn't make that bet. "it's just not that big of a deal to me." marley said.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

ON TO THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!