Chapter 4

"Chin up! Stand straight!" A voice boomed through the wide room. A mop of styled red hair, a young boy with his back straight as he looked towards the front with a confident gaze. A bright yet gentle smile appears on his lips as he walked with elegance, edging each corner of his steps.

"Bravo!" The old woman spoke off with a rough voice, one may think of as having a sore throat yet it does not battle her stance and magnified aura. "Now, do thy manners, boy!"

Cale gave an elegant bow of his head as his eyes twinkle. The old woman huffed in amusement and walked towards the boy, precision and elegance tracing her every step.

"Such a fine young master we have to fully understand etiquette at such a young age," Duchess Sonata said, a glint of pride shakes in her eyes. The five-year old redhead beams, his eyes twinkle as he out his arms on his back. "Nay, Duchess Sonata! It's probably because of you who teaches I to be good at it."

The old woman amusedly shakes her head and offered her hand, "Control your words, boy. Since we are finished with your lessons for today, Won't you come with granny to meet mum?"

The small little Cale was bright and beaming at the mention of his mother. "I can't decline a favourable invite, granny!" He nods, still taking etiquette to a reasonable degree and accepted the gloved hand.

"My, I think it's better if we lay out the formalities. Just be... hm, casual with me. But of course, don't step out of the line too much in the laws of nobility."

"No lines stepped across!" The young Cale giggled before his actions were put to a stop. A sudden shadow moved from underneath with thrilling excitement and then it disappeared. Too bad, Duchess Sonata did not pay attention.

The redhead murmured something underneath his breath. His eyes blinked twice before frowning, "Say, Grandma... if I ever turn out bad, would you still treat me like your grandson in the end?"

The old woman halted her steps, quite perplexed with a question that shouldn't come out of a child's mouth. The fan in her hands tremble for a moment before she snaps her fan and held it close to her lips, a crooked smile etched on her face.

"Of course. For whatever you may be, you must've had a reason..." Duchess Sonata told him. Red-brown eyes glinted at the noticeable act of her fingers, "But how can our dearest boy be so bad in the future with his educational marks and manners so high like this?"

"Ah! Hehe, you're right! I surely wouldn't disappoint!"

-

The young patriarch scowled deeply as he shove the dust off of his clothes, eyes momentarily blinking as he woke up from such a nightmare of naivety. That boy was long gone. He did not need reassurance that he was a monster. He already was from the day he was born, even mother told him so.

"Hans, find an inn close from here." Cale demanded, his voice strongly rough in the morning. The redhead yawns, his eyes remained focus and clear.

"Affirmative." Comes a silent reply from the said butler.

As his shadow left, the young patriarch lightly bent his neck to the side as his bones cracked from the action.

A thrilled hiss comes from below, Cale rolled his eyes and silently toughen the bottom of his shoes, knowing damn well he was trying to choke one of the snake-like drills.

He crossed his legs and swatted the shadows that were lingering in front of his face.

His mind occupied with thoughts of having to meet the priestess, the scowl on his face soothed into a plaintive smile.