Chapter 22

2016

I decided to hide out in the office for the rest of my shift, determined to avoid any more interactions with Martin if I possibly could. It was the safest place to retreat to.

At least hiding from Martin was temporarily distracting me from my Iona-related strife, I thought bleakly.

Suddenly, not long before I was due to finish, I heard the front door of the hotel slam and footsteps flying towards the bar area. I was already on my way to investigate when I heard a female voice in the bar, clear as a bell, asking where I was.

I'd recognise that voice anywhere. I quickened my pace, wondering why Iona was looking for me. I paused in the doorway of the bar.

"I'm right here," I said, as calmly as I could. I felt anything but calm though as she turned to face me. I had no idea what she wanted.

"Can we talk?" She asked, much to my surprise.

"Is there anything really left to say?" That line came out before I could stop it, and I watched her wince at the sharpness of my tone. But I was at a loss for what to do or say anymore. Every time I tried to let her in, she ended up hurting me.

"Ryan?" A whispered plea. Her eyes looked damp. Had she been crying?

I gave in. Was there ever really a question that I wouldn't? "Come on," I nodded, leading her to the office. I propped myself against the wall, near the door. That way I could escape if she was about to tell me something I didn't want to hear.

"So what do you want to talk about?" I asked cautiously.

She swallowed. "Us. You. Prom."

I stayed quiet. Let her fill the silence.

"You said the other night you wanted to forget prom and move on from it. But I think we actually do need to discuss it because I've realised I got you all wrong, and I'm so incredibly sorry about that," she blurted out in a rush.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, confused.

And then it all came pouring out.

Iona had also been wanting to tell me how she felt on prom might. We had pretty much made the same vow to come clean. But then Christine had told Iona she liked me, and girl code (and various other insecurities) had meant Iona felt she had no choice to let Christine cut in. And then Martin had told her I wasn't interested in her, that I preferred Christine, and essentially made out that I had been body-shaming her.

"I didn't want to believe it," she said softly. "But I was so self-conscious about how I looked then. And Christine was just like this beautiful supermodel. So when I came to find you, and you were kissing her, it seemed to confirm everything Martin had said. I thought I was just some sort of joke to you and your friends."

The idea that she'd thought I'd betrayed her like that killed me. She had always been perfect in my eyes. Even when she had walked away.

"Wow," I said eventually. "What a dick."

She flinched.

Oops. "Not you, Iona. I meant Martin. Always knew he was a total arsehole." I shook my head. "I'm a bit gutted you thought I would say those things about you though. You were the only girl I wanted to take to prom. I didn't like Christine in that way."

"But you kissed her. Twice." She protested.

"And that makes me a bit of a dick, because both times were because I couldn't have you," I countered. "When she was dancing with me that night, she said she'd thought you and me might be a couple, but that you'd told her we were just friends. I pretty much abandoned her on the dancefloor to come and find you, and that's when I heard you tell Martin you weren't bothered about me."