Chapter 7: Nexus

"I knew he'd do something stupid but not this stupid...." The stern man sighed as he looked at the bewildered Atsushi, who was still clutching the bomb in his arms.

"I'm sorry for scaring all of you..." The supposed "bomber" apologized to the white-haired teen.

"Oh my, onii-chan~! You did so well as a villain~ Why don't we continue where we left off at home~?"

"H-Huh?! E-Even the part timer was in cahoots with everyone?!" The white-haired teen thought to himself, still confused on what's going on around him which oddly enough, the brown-haired teen heard inside of his head which caught him by surprise.

"Aww...I feel bad for hi- H-Huh? I can....read his thoughts...?"

"H-How did this.....happen?" (e/c) teen thought to himself, still shocked about this newfound ability.

"Anways...." The stern man by the name of Kunikida Doppo, adjusted his glasses as he spoke to the bewildered Atsushi.

"Brat, you should blame Dazai. Barring that, blame yourself for choosing the wrong person to help you finding a job!"

"So this IS the job...." The white-haired teen sighed.

"This is the....entrance exam?"

"That's correct." A man in his mid-forties said as he walked out of his office.

"President Fukuzawa?"

"Since Dazai said there was a capable young man, I had him test your mettle."

"Well. I reccomend you for hire, Atsushi kun." The enigmatic Dazai said to the white-haired teen was was still sitting on the floors woth the fake bomb in his arms.

"But since you've been designated a major threat by the ward, there was a bit of a disagreement whether we should take you in or not..."

"So, president.....What is your decision?"

The stern Kunikida asked the president of the detective agency as the whole staff and members of the agency turned their attention towards their president.

"....I'll let Dazai decide." The president of the detective agency said as he walked away and back to his office.

"W-Wait a minute, D-Dazai-san. So the job you meant to introduce me for was...."

You apparently passed the test, so...."

Without further ado, The enigmatic man welcomed their newest member to the Armed Detective Agency.

"Welcome to the Armed Detective Agency, Nakajima Atsushi-kun!"

"Congratulations! We're glad we were able to help!" The Tanizaki siblings said cheerfully to the white-haired teen.

"Congratulations too, Atsushi-kun!" The (h/c) teen said as he patted the white-haired boy on the shoulder, causing the nervous boy to blush.

"I....I can't possibly join a workplace as violent and reckless as this...."

"Well, no ordinary person would just use their own body as a meat shield to save everyone from a bomb." The enigmatic man said as a compliment to the white-haired teen.

"That's right! I was really impressed! The young part-timer at the detective agency added as she wrapped her arms around her brother's tightly.

"But...."

"Don't worry, Atsushi. You'll be in great hands!" The (s/c) teen encouraged his newfound workmate.

"Though if you wish to refuse, we wouldn't press you to join any further. But then again, I couldn't help but worry about your future."