1

A/N

First, I want to say thanks for reading my story. I'm open to critics because I want to become a better writer so bring it on nicely, please. I won't hold you long, on with the story.

Walking down the streets was nothing like it used to be. There were equal to zero other people walking the streets of what used to be the most buzzing part of the city. To be frank, I don't even know what the city is called anymore. Everything's changed.

It's because of the pandemic that roamed the earth last year. It finally ended when the last person that was smitten died, at least we think it was the last one. You can never be sure.

The symptoms are probably the worst. It starts with a cough like a normal cold rather quickly. Then after twenty-four hours, you get a high fever and hallucinations with small bag-filled boils. After about thirty-eight hours, your body goes limb, like you're paralyzed, then your lungs collapse. The final stage, death. There is no cure, no vaccination, just painful death. No one infected ever survived. All the infected ones were put in isolation as soon as possible to stop the spread. They were left to die.

I was one of them.

I don't really know how or even why I'm still alive. The doctors didn't know either. I got to the stage where my body went limp, and my left lung collapsed. Then I became better, regained mobility, my lung inflated again, the fever went down, the hallucination stopped, and the bag-filled boils disappeared. The doctors did a lot of tests on me trying to figure out how I managed to recover after the deadly virus. They found out one thing. Something inside of me changed.

My cells had reconstructed themselves. They held me, prisoner, in a facility as they discovered others around the world surviving as I had. There were only a few of us, no more than around ten people of the entire world population. Don't misunderstand me, several million never caught the virus and went unharmed from it. But getting the virus was a death sentence. The few who survived were sent to a laboratory in the US, close to the former city of New York.

I overheard someone talk about the other survivors having developed abilities. They were each given a color assignment that corresponded with their abilities or disorder as I'd like to call it.

Yellow, with intelligence and photogenic memory.

Purple, with telekinesis and simple magic.

Grey, with controlling electricity and summoning lightning.

Black, with destruction.

White, orange with mind control and manipulation.

So far I've heard about two getting the green color and one with orange. The colors come from what color their eyes change into when using their given ability, or abilities. It's a glowing color which in any other situation I would've thought of as incredibly cool.

I'm the only one I know about given the color assignment Black. It's apparently rare among the survivors. As we're not rare enough from the beginning. I destroyed the entire building on accident. They were going to kill me, afraid I still carried the virus even though I recovered from it, or that I'd develop abilities. I screamed at them and resisted. The whole building shook. They got scared, the alarms went off. Before I knew it, the building started to fall apart. I barely made it out myself, and I just ran. I ran as fast and as far as my legs could carry me. I don't know if anyone else managed to survive, but if they did they put my identity as one of the enchanted. Making my name on a list no one would get involved in and is currently a hit list. Yeah, they want all of us dead.

One good thing about the color assignment is that it changed my appearance when I first used it. I'm no longer the girl on my identity card. My hair is strawberry blond, almost red, and curly reaching my mid-back. It used to be straight and blonde. My eyes are blue, and I'm around 5'6. My eyes are the only thing that stayed the same. My personality changed to careful and easily startled. Because I am constantly on the run. My skin became more toned because of the sun. My eyes which had a green tint to them disappeared and instead became a steady, deep blue.