Chapter 4 - INDECENT PROPOSAL

All actions have consequences. Being unable to control my emotions this time could cost me dearly. The ambulance arrived at the house along with the police, as they were responding to a report of a man being stabbed. Right after the incident, Stephanie and I left.

"Stew, I think you went too far this time" she said to me as I was driving. "I just thought you would beat him up or something, I did not think you would stab him. What if he dies" she continued.

I did not say a word as I was driving, and she went on continuing to express her concern about the things that transpired. As she was talking, her phone rang. It was her mother.

"Steph, the police want you and Stew to come back to the house" I could hear her say through the phone. Stephanie just looked at me. "Mom, I will call you back" she said to her mom and hung up.

"So, what are you going to do" she said to me. "You know if you go back they probably are going to arrest you for assault" she stated. "You do not have to go back, you can let some time pass until I can talk to my uncle to make sure he does not press charges" she said as if she was trying to convince me to not return.

"I am going back" I said to her as a hit a U-turn in the street. I felt I was innocent, at least I felt as if what I did was understandable. Plus, he would never press charges, because that would mean his dirt would have to come out also.

We turn the corner to the house and see three cop cars there but no ambulance. We park and walk up the sidewalk to the house. We approach the front door as the cops are walking out.

"Hello, are you Derek Stewart" the cop said to me.

"Yes, I am sir" I responded.

He grabbed my arm, "Derek Stewart, you are under arrest for the murder of James Jenkins," I heard him say and it seemed like the entire world stopped spinning at that moment.

"Murder?" Stephanie said in total shock.

"Yes, Mr. Jenkins died on the way to the hospital" the cop responded.

Hearing that he died on the way to the hospital I was in shock. I was standing here in handcuffs about to be taken to jail. But I was conflicted. I was truly upset that I was about to go to jail tonight and not home. On the other hand, I had little or no remorse for his fate. I was thinking anybody that would do that to kids, they deserve whatever happens to them.

I know, killing another person is not right, not justified. But seeing the things I saw with death as a kid, some people simply deserve to experience severe pain in their lives, and if they happen to die, they should have thought about that when they did unthinkable things to innocent people that could not protect themselves.

I didn't say another word on the way to the precinct. They booked me in and threw me in a holding cell. I looked around this crowded cell full of black men of all ages as I found a place on the bench to sit down.

"Welcome to the Dekalb County Hotel" some guy said to me joking. I just looked at him. It was quite the mixture of men to be in one room together. I guess jail is the one place that humbled everybody. As I looked around the room, I saw a well-dressed, well groomed black man in what looked like a custom suit, sitting on the same bench a few feet from an older guy that looked like he was homeless.

There was a guy in there with a tank top on the ground doing push-ups, showing off his bulging arms, just a few feet away from another that was obviously homosexual. This was a true melting pot, in this room, everybody was an equal no matter how much money you had or didn't have. How educated you were or not.

You could see some in here that looked as if it was no big deal and some that looked as if they were a nervous wreck. I just sat there and watched.

"Hey guard come over here and let me out dammit. I know you hear me. When I get out, I'm going to fuck your momma" this guy saying as he stood by the door beating on the steal door. It seemed everybody was ignoring him.