Chapter 12 - Ghost Hunting

I walked out of the storage room and now the game plan has changed. They had Rayna, and now it was time for me to go on the offensive. Ghost Squad was only partially funded by the city. The majority of the cash and weapons of Ghost Squad were from seizures and arrest. The bigger the arrest, the more money and weapons for Ghost Squad. If I wanted to send a message, going after their money and weapons would be the ultimate message.

Ghost Squad had two secret locations where they would stash the proceeds from their heist. Classic City Fine Arts was a fine arts museum to the world. Dignitaries and high society people frequented there and hosted events regularly upstairs, with no idea what secrets were held behind the locked doors. The security and staff at the facility were not your run of the mill art museum staff. They were all trainees with the Ghost Squad, and they had no idea what they were protecting.

The museum was my first stop. In the underground vault, they kept an arsenal of weapons. There were only two ways into the vault, through the museum and the heavily secured entrance or the secret loading area that was used to get weapons in and out of the facility. The loading dock looked like it was an entrance to the restaurant next door, but a trap door gave you access to the storage vault under the museum.

Getting access to the vault through the loading dock would be much easier than trying to get through the museum with the security there and the vault door. But there is no scheduled times to go in and out. Opening the trap door required a retina scan and door release from a second person at a remote location.

I was pressed for time to save Rayna, but getting in the vault was critical. It also served as the server and communication hub for Ghost Squad. Killing the communication would isolate everybody since all communications within Ghost Squad were done on secure lines.

I parked around the corner from the dock and walked to the dock area trying to avoid being seen on the multiple security cameras. I was going to have to hide out in the dumpster near the loading dock until somebody came to access the vault.

It was a gamble because I would not know when anybody would come and would not know if a person coming was going to the restaurant or to the vault. One of the things you learned in the job was patience. Sometimes you would have to sit in a place for days at a time waiting for your target.

Once I broke into the house of a murderous drug lord to wait for him to return. After a day waiting inside his house his elderly grandmother and kid returned home without him. As I sat hiding in the guest bedroom, grandma decided to make that her room for the night. She could not sleep in the bed because of her back, so she slept in the reclining chair.

The chair was pushed up against the closet door with me stuck inside of the closet while grandma slept. After three days in the closet, he finally came home. As they gathered all of grandma's things for her to leave, I could see him through the crack in the door.

Along with a teenage child, they helped grandma out of the room and to the car for the ride home. They left the suitcase and had to go back into the room to get it. I exited the closet and waited behind the door for them to return for the suitcase and hoped it was him and not the teenager. As I hid behind the door, I could hear him approaching on the phone.

He walked into the room and reached down to pick up the suitcase. I walked behind him, grabbed him by his forehead and pulled his head back as I sliced his throat from one end to the other. He fell to the floor dropping the phone. I could hear the person on the other end, "Hello? Hello?"

I walked out the back door of the house and down the side of the driveway as grandma and the teenager sat in the car waiting for him to return with the suitcase. That was 3 days waiting in the closet for one job. You had to learn patience.