PROLOGUE

Gugu

12 years ago.

"Baba, ngiyakucela!" I sobbed, begging over and over to be released from his tight grip on my wrist. The beads adorning my neck swaying violently, threatening to fall off.

"Gugu! Uzoshada manje!" He barked, dragging me towards the door.

"Mama! Mama please mama! Please tell Baba I don't want this!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, hoping she would hear my cries and bring an end to all this. Instead, she continued watching, with tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Ma!" I screamed even louder, seeing Baba opening the door. Ma continued standing there, watching.

"Hey! Tandzile! Khuza lengane yakho! Is she trying to embarrass me?!" He yelled, now facing my mother as he scuffled tightly onto my wrist, making sure he doesn't lose the grip.

"Yima kancane Baba. Ngicela uhlise umoya. Please allow me to talk to her, maybe she'll feel better, please." Her soft voice chirped, and she faced me, with her hands cupped together in a requesting gesture.

I nodded frantically to the suggestion.

"Please Baba..." I added in a sob

He quickly threw a doubtful glance towards me and Ma.

"You..." he pointed at me with his eyes bulged out, "you better not try any of your nonsense! hurry up, people are waiting outside..." He said before turning to walk out.

The lump in my throat grew bigger, and I didn't even know what to do. I threw myself in Ma's arms, and I begin sobbing my lungs out. Her thick arms wrapped around me and she slowly began to stroke my back.

"Mama, I don't want to... please..." I cried.

"Gugu, my baby... please."

"I don't want to Ma! It's not fair, all because uBaba wants to sell me off for a piece of land!" I sobbed.

"Mntanami, please, we need that land. That is what will feed us! Ever since the mine collapse, everything came to a standstill. Your father lost his job and nothing was said about a retrenchment grant. We need that land, please my baby..." She said, with her hand stroking my back slower.

"Ma...I don't want this. I'm still young Ma, I have dreams! I don't want to be stuck for the rest of my life Ma. You wouldn't want me to suffer, you wouldn't want me to be illiterate. At least allow me to complete matric, please Ma...." I sobbed.

"Gugu, that's not up to us anymore..." She said softly, tears stream down her face.

My eyes got wider and my jaw dropped.

What does she mean? No! I can't drop out of school.

"Ma please...I can't leave school! Please Ma, do something..." I sobbed, feeling my heart being crushed into a million pieces.

"I'm so sorry my baby, I'm sure ..."

Just then , he stormed in, grinning proudly in his mvunulo. He who was to be my husband. Oh God! Is this him? An old man? A pang of pain and disgust twisted around my stomach. This can't be.

"Gxabhashe..." My mom muttered, slightly bowing her head in respect.

"Yes, I'm here for my... beautiful, bountiful goods..." He said, setting his eyes on my apparent cleavage. He has a very intimidating stare, although he's trying to make it subtle.

Is this what I am to become? A good for nothing slave to an old man in exchange for a piece of land?