CHAPTER 3

NOMAGUGU

I make my way towards the mansion, my heart thumps anxiously as I eye the huge glass windows.

The morning sun beautifully reflects on the grand mansion in a warm, golden glow. A security guard approaches me. I take a deep breath, her hands trembling slightly, as I couldn't get my eyes off the impressive house.

''Here we go, Gugu. First day of work.'' I whisper to myself, calming my nerves.

''Sawubona sisi...'' the security guard greets me with a slight smile.

I nod and smile at him.

"Yebo saw'bona, I'm here for Mrs Habedi. I am her new maid."

"Oh yes , I see. Igama lakho?"

"Nomagugu. Nomagugu Xulu."

"Ok sis'wami , you can just walk towards the driveway, you will find the door."

"Ngiyabonga." I say before walking off.

I clutch my small handbag tightly and I approach the ornate front door. I knock on the door gently, and it opens to reveal Mrs Habedi , she looks like a beautiful ,refined woman in her late thirties.

She greets me with a smile and extends her hand.
"Welcome, Nomagugu. I'm Mrs.Habedi. I'm so pleased you accepted the job."

"Thank you, Mrs. Habedi"

"It's fine Nomagugu, you can call me Sis'Thandeka. Welcome."

We exchange a hand shake and I enter the mansion.

The mansion's interior is as elegant as the exterior. Crystal chandeliers hang from the ceiling, and the walls are adorned with antique paintings. As they walk further inside, I can't help but to just glance around in awe. This house is so huge and elegant, like the ones I usually see on the small tv back home!

Sis'Thandeka walks around the house showing me around.
"Gugu, your quarters are on the second floor, For now, I'll show you the main living areas.''

As we continue, we pass by the study where Mr Habedi, a distinguished gentleman in his fifties, is busy reading a book. He glances up at my sight, and a playful smirk plays on his lips. I feel my skin queasing uncomfortably.

''Well, well, my love , I must say, you've outdone yourself with this new hire.''

Thandeka seems to ignore the comment.

''Gugu,  this is my husband, Mr. Habedi.''

''Nice to meet you, sir.'' I reply

''Please , call me John.''

His eyes continue to linger on me for a moment, making me feel uncomfortable. Thandeka clears her throat, breaking the momentary silence.

'We'll continue the tour" she replies , with a heeding look at Mr Habedi.

Thandeka leads me away from the study, leaving her husband with a wistful look on his face.

Please, Gugu, pay no mind to my husband. He has a tendency of joking. Just focus on your duties, and you'll do amazing around here." She whispers as we pass by the corridor.

''Of course, Mrs. Habedi. I'm here to work.''

She playfully narrows her eyes at me and shrugs. ''You don't need to be formal around me. Just call me Sis'Thandeka.''

As we walk away, I can't shake off the feeling of Mr. Habedi's gaze following me. I'm here to work for a better future and I am determined to prove myself as a capable and professional maid, no matter the distractions that may come.

Later that evening as Gontse and I joked around while making dinner, the buzz of my phone interrupts our conversation.

I pick up the phone. Unknown number?

''Hello...?''

''Hello , Gugu? Can you hear me? Hello???'' A familiar voice says through the breaking line over the phone.

''Yim- , yimina uSane. '' she sounds terrified.

I gulp, feeling my stomach drop. I can't reply. What if it's a trap? I cannot risk it. How did they even get my phone number?

''Sorry , wrong number.'' I reply, changing my tone.''

''Gugu I know it's you. Please -''

Nervously, I cut the call.

Gontse realised the reaction that was now written all over my face.

''Haibo , keng chommie? You look like you just saw a ghost...''

''oh, it's nothing. One of these scammers claiming to be my long lost relative..'' I say, trying to laugh it off.

''Mhhh....', she gives me a questionable look before returning to her playful state. ''Where was I? Oh yes , I gave that old hag a taste of her own damn medicine...''