Chapter 6

“Congrats,” Cleese said. Heading towards where Kyle was facing, Cleese stopped. “You’ve got yourself an enemy.” Espeon followed his trainer soon right after, turning around to see what his opponents were like now. Only Kyle and Umbreon stared in disbelief from the battle, Umbreon having some tears rolling down. “Espe,” Espeon was going back to where the others stood, receiving a head turn from the Umbreon as Cleese brought out a Pokeball, putting him back inside.

Sighing, Cleese put the Pokeball back into his pocket. “You better prepare for the Pokemon League,” he warned. “I know you didn’t give it your all and I hate it.”

Soon enough, Cleese disappeared from view, leaving Kyle and Umbreon in Spikemuth walking inside for the gym challenge. “Umbre,” Umbreon began to stand up to give chase to Cleese, just for Kyle to pick her up. “We shouldn’t do that,” Kyle said. He had his head bowed down with slow, short steps on his way to the Pokemon Center. Along the way, Kyle stopped abruptly right in front of it, looking directly down at Umbreon, tears in his eyes. “D-do y-you rrremember o-our lesson we-we-we learned back in A-A-A-Alola?” Kyle asked shakily. “T-the o-o-one whe-when we l-l-lost a-a-a-against-t-t R-Ryan?”

Umbreon nodded violently.

“G-good, b-because I-I-I th-ink we-we should t-teach him that. N-no, h-have too!”

Now inside the Pokemon Center in Spikemuth, Kyle buried his head deep in his arms as Umbreon was taken away to recover. He needed to calm down if he was going to take on Cleese at the Pokemon League. As Kyle took deep breaths, shouting came from outside the building, other customers inside watching, some even going outside as to see what was going on.

Ryan and Cleese were with each other, Ryan yelling at Cleese, who remained unhinged from him. “I can’t believe you!” Ryan shouted, furiously. “And you had the nerve to say that!” Cleese still didn’t budge, only staring at Ryan quietly before glancing to see that Kyle was in the Pokemon Center and shift his attention back to Ryan. “So?” Cleese responded.

“So?!”

“Do you want a rematch or something?”

Grabbing his Pokeball, Cleese threw it out immediately, Ryan following quickly. “It’s going to be the same thing,” Cleese added with contempt. Both an Espeon and Greninja appeared on the field, their trainers behind them. “Greninja, you know what to do!” Ryan commanded. “Just keep hitting Espeon with Night Slash!”

“Espeon,” Cleese began, sending chills down on his Pokemon. “Dodge like always. It won’t be a problem facing someone as fast as you, won’t it?” Espeon gave a hesitant nod as he dodged the Greninja’s Night Slashes, which became more and more difficult as he went on. “Now!” Cleese ordered, running past Ryan, Espeon following short after.

“Oh no you don’t!” Ryan was now after Cleese. “Greninja, don’t let Espeon escape! We’re going to settle this right now!” While Ryan chased Cleese, Greninja dealt with the Espeon, who clumsily tried to get past and was rewarded with Greninja grabbing a hold of him. “Greninja!” Greninja called out the clear.

“We got Espeon now,” Ryan spoke tiredly. “Now you have to fight us for real.” Right behind Ryan was a Greninja who held an Espeon hostage. The sight made Cleese laugh lightly. “What’s so funny?” Ryan interrogated. “You think I care about my Pokemon?!” Cleese laughed wildly. “You can keep him for all I see!”

“Shut up!” Ryan launched a punch towards Cleese, who dodged it. “You go through all these contests and battles just for yourself, while putting on that stupid face!” Cleese just kept on dodging whatever Ryan threw at him. “You said that you don’t care about your Pokemon!” Ryan was running out of steam as he still kept up the pace.

Cleese only continued to dodge until Ryan stopped, putting his hands on his knees to catch his breath. Looking back up at Cleese, Ryan brought another question. “Why did you even decide to tell me that?” he asked. “Oh, no reason whatsoever,” Cleese answered.

“So you’re that cocky, huh?”

Ryan glanced over at Greninja, who still had the Espeon captive. “You don’t deserve to be called a trainer,” Ryan insulted. “So I guess that means I win.”

“Pft,” Cleese laughed again. “You call that a battle? I only needed to get away from you. It didn’t matter if Espeon made it or not.”

“Then that means I don’t have to fight you,” announced Kyle.