Chapter 2 The night after

I got up at around 3 p.m. with only 5 hours of sleep, as I heard the both of them awake already. Quickly getting myself presentable in the lowest standard, I opened the door and saw them sitting at the dining table eating some take-out food.

Did I mention the dining room was super tiny? If you want to leave space for people to walk around the table, you can only place two chairs on the opposite side of it. And one of the chairs was directly in front of my door. Meaning I wouldn't be able to pass by without the chair being moved forward a bit if someone was sitting on it.

Brett was the one sitting there, so what I saw first was the back of his head and then Eddy's face. Not gonna lie I almost couldn't suppress the urge to ruffle the round and fluffy hair.

"Ah, oops, sorry. Good afternoon!" Brett moved his chair and let me pass by, quickly turning away his eyes when he saw my room.

Eddy appeared very awkward and shy all of a sudden, which was exactly within my expectation. I greeted them with my eyes and smiled at them. "Good afternoon. Let me brush my teeth before anything else."

"Sure."

As I went into the bathroom, I heard Eddy whispering to Brett about something before Brett laughed, and Eddy groaned.

"We actually bought you some food as well, hope you like it." They were both standing when I came out of the bathroom and walked toward them. I was confused at present, but in hindsight, it made sense.

If Brett was sitting and Eddy standing, it would look like he was the host and Eddy was a companion of some sort leaving the seat to me; on the other hand, if Eddy was sitting and Brett left his seat for me, he would be leaving Eddy, the one that doesn't know me and has less social skills then Brett to face me directly. And if both of them were sitting, well, at least I wouldn't do that as a guest, not leaving any seats for the host.

"Oh really? Thank you! What did you guys buy?" I looked at the table, and apparently they managed to find the nearest cafe that sells all-day, fancy meals. I only had it once and recalled the name has owls in it. "You guys sit. I can grab another chair."

"Oh, let me help!" Brett followed me into the living room and saw me pull the chair away from the table there.

"We usually just have one or two people eating at a time, but when we have more, this is what we do." I explained on my way, scooting the chair to the dining room.

Eddy was still awkwardly standing in the way. The hallway was too small for two people to pass by each other with a chair in front of me.

"Oh, Eddy, could you move the chair you were sitting into where you are standing?" It's my first direct sentence to Eddy. Seeing him behaving awkwardly made me feel uncertain about my words.

"Oh, s-sure, sorry for not thinking of that."

After the three of us were all settled, I decided to reach out to Eddy more to open him up, hopefully. I have both my arms on the table and slightly leaning in, with a smile on my face, I said: "You're too tense, Eddy. I'm not gonna bite. What did Brett tell you? Haha"

"Uh, no, I'm just... Thank you for letting us stay. Really." He lowered his head and fidgeted with his fingers.

While we were having the conversation, if that counted as one, Brett took out a few more boxes from the plastic bag and handed them to me. "I hope you're not sick of eating this already. We went for the classic."

Before I could respond to either of them, Brett reached out to grab Eddy's hand to stop him from picking his nails. I wasn't really paying attention at first, but Eddy, in turn, took away his hand too quickly that it hit the table.