Chapter 3 Finale

I got a message from my parents half an hour ago informing me that they wouldn't be coming back today, reminding me to do a few house chores. Coincidentally, Brett also got a text regarding their postponed dinner plan with their friends.

I didn't expect Eddy to propose we go out for some snacks together after hearing both news, claiming he saw some shops on their way back that interested him. I made sure to check my schedule for meetings before accepting their offer, and I am glad that I declined the meeting that was supposed to happen today.

"I heard from Brett that you went to our Singapore concert last month."

We were on our way out when Eddy brought this up to me.

"Um, yeah?" I answered cautiously, unsure about his attitude towards me now.

"Did you stay for the autograph or take a picture with us?"

"......Yeah?" My face was full of question marks for sure as I tried to pay attention to the road while peering at his face to get some extra information.

"You... didn't look like the type to do that." He concluded and was immediately jabbed by Brett a bit secretly.

I wanted to laugh out loud, but considering we're in public I refrained from it and only did a little smirk.

"I'm like the least memorable type of fan in that context," I said. "I just waited for the signing and took a photo. That's it."

"Can I see the picture?" Another jab, this time Brett even rolled his eyes.

I gave him a side glance while we continued our walk. "Should I show you my plane tickets, too?" I laughed, not really minding the question. However, Brett seemed to have enough of this and decided to tickle Eddy as punishment.

So many actions happened at that moment, I was initially laughing because of Eddy, and Brett was rolling his eyes; Eddy was of course busy laughing and avoiding Brett's hand in case of further attacks. We were walking on a small neighbourhood street without pedestrian walking areas and suddenly a motorcycle rushed by, almost hitting Eddy. Fortunately, I ended my laugh earlier and managed to drag Eddy back, preventing the accident.

"Holy shit, that was close." Brett mumbled under his breath as we all stopped laughing, hands protectively on Eddy's back and arm.

§§

There's a street full of food due to the nearby university. I showed them the few sweetshops there, and Eddy picked one that sold bean curds which I recommend, albeit eaten once only.

Perhaps hearing us conversing in English, we were stopped by a pair of foreign-appearance travellers to ask for directions to the subway station. I quickly instructed them the way with a few hand gestures and right-left turn conditions before continuing our walk.

I didn't expect another group of native travellers also come to me for directions right after the previous pair had left. I quickly switched languages and helped them out before apologetically returning to Brett and Eddy.

"I just realized...." Eddy said as we continued our walk. "We were talking in English all along, and I didn't even realize you knew the local language. Is English your first language or not?"

"Ah, no, it's second. But..." I told them about the university nearby that created the food district, which was the top university here, so it's full of academically intelligent students and professors, not to mention international students. "You can easily survive with English living nearby."

"Actually..." It's Brett that spoke up this time. "I was thinking since we met what accent you have. I can't really tell because it seemed like a mix of everything. Where did you learn it from?"