Chapter Four - Comfort and Small Blessings

It was the wailing of Xiao Xin that got Xiao Xiao running into the chambers, only to find her little sister fighting the efforts of the nannies to dress her in proper garments. It was temple-going day, and Xiao Xiao's mother had sought permission to leave the confines of the palace to pray for blessings.

Temple-going days were always opportunities for Xiao Xiao to see the word. Jian practice was starting to bore her. The late summer heat made the drills more tedious. The jian she used was far more ornamental than her mother's, the hilt painted with colorful motifs of peonies and phoenixes.  So, when Mother announced they were going to the temple, Xiao Xiao was delighted and relieved.

The imperial sedans waited patiently for them, the men sweating in their summer clothing.  With a fretting Xiao Xin in Mother's arms, they boarded the sedans. Xiao Xiao took the time to watch the flow of people and listen to the sounds of merchants and street-food sellers. She looked forward to the boiled peanuts.

Mother dressed in a plain peach-colored gown, with fewer accessories for her head-dress. She was, after all, praying for blessings and for her best friend, the Empress of the East Palace, whose son was frequently sick. She was worried that the Empress of the West Palace, had cursed the boy. That wicked wicked woman. Mother had never forgiven the Empress of the West Palace for the assassination attempts.

Sandalwood filled the air: incense was thick. Somewhere, monks were chanting sutras. Xiao Xiao placed her palms together and bowed to the benevolent-looking Kuan Yin statue. Beside her, Mother whispered prayers and lit two joss sticks.

Xiao Xiao prayed for Ming Zhu.

May she return safely.

May she be blessed.

Recipe for Steamed Peanuts

Raw peanuts (in their shells)

Two cloves

Two star of anise

Instructions:

Soak the raw peanuts overnight.

Then,  boil for one hour with the cloves and star of anise.

Drain, serve warm.

Note: the cloves and star of anises are for flavouring.