Chapter Three

Slowly, I walked into my house with Luke following me. "Stop," I said. Luke walked faster and entered the house in awe. Everything was organized neatly-even the messes. "Surprised?" Luke nodded and spoke, "I mean, I'm moving into a house across from here, so I guess I'll have the same reaction when I walk into my house."

Immediately I stopped walking upstairs to turn around. "Wha-what do you mean by 'across the street'?" I asked and walked back downstairs to meet his beautiful eyes...I mean...never mind. "See, my mom divorced my father so my dad and I ended up moving to this area to meet up with a few women in the neighborhood," he replied.

"So basically you're saying that he wants to try and hook up with all the women of the neighborhood?" "Yeah, pretty much. But I don't want them to go through some of the same things that my mother went through," Luke said, his face becoming hard. I didn't dare to ask what happened to his mother, because I figured that it's too personal.

An awkward silence came upon us for a few moments before I heard the house alarm go off. "Luke, what are you doing here earlier than the guest? And why are you here with some girl?" a booming voice shot through the room. "Dad, this is actually-" "Did you just call me dad, you boy?" Luke shuffled his feet and mumbled, "Sorry, sir. But this is actually that woman's daughter, Pamela Washington."

Luke's dad smiled wryly and patted my shoulder. He looked me up and down, licked his lips, and finally said, "You look too familiar. Where would I know you from?" Luke looked around the room as the man waited for me to answer. Truth be told, I didn't know where I knew him from. He was rarely in my dreams. Just as I opened my mouth, the alarm went off.

"Alright, Wallace. I've got the asparagus and the broccoli casserole! Could you please turn the oven on?" my mother's nasal toned voice shot through the door. I rolled my eyes as I watched her set down the groceries. "Mom, can I talk to you for a second?" I asked, gesturing towards the kitchen where nobody would hear us. Mom puts her purse down, hangs up her coat and walks to the kitchen.

"What's the matter, Pammy? You're usually excited when guests come over," mom said. I sighed and sat down at the table. "It's just that-I've seen both of them in my dreams, Mom. And it's weird to see them at my house," I explained. Mom sighed and left the room without saying a single word to me.

It was like this the rest of the day; she ignored me.

~*~

After my mom ignoring me for a total of 6 hours, I decided not to bring up my dreams anymore. Apparently it disturbs her, but who else am I supposed to tell?

Luke, wake up. Wake up, Luke, I've got something to show you!" she said, shaking him as he slowly woke up. "What's the matter, Allison?" he asked, rubbing his eyes. "Follow me," Allison said as she hopped out of the window onto the porch. She motioned Luke to follow her, and he hesitated but followed. Allison smiled and ran down the steps. "Where are we going?" Luke whispered. Allison did nothing but giggle. "You'll see," she replied. She ran across the street and yelled, "Come on, Luke! There aren't any cars out this late!" Luke looked back and jogged across the street. "LUKE!"

Crash.

I woke up, hair mashed to my face, tear stains on my cheeks, biting my lip so I can try not to cry anymore. I checked my alarm clock - 2:45 a.m. I have got to keep my dreaming under control. I got out of bed, feeling extremely light headed. I sat back down; maybe I got up too fast. I slowly got up again and just fell. ?everything became blurry and I could barely hear. I saw feet running towards me as I barely kept my eyes open. The last thing I heard was, "Yes, my daughter just passed out!"