Chapter Six

"Wait...you mean to tell me that your father has been doing this to you for years?" I asked Luke as we walked to the park. "Yeah, you get used to it. Look Pam- I mean Allison. I don't want you to stress over me. I'm fine," Luke sighed.

I kissed his cheek, watching him blush and continued walking. We stopped at a nearby bench when I began to reminisce on how we used to slide down the swirly slide when we were kids.

"Come on, Allison!" Luke called after me as I began to slow my running down. My mother took me and Luke to the park every Saturday. Today we were playing tag, but I didn't feel like playing. "Ally? What's wrong?" He asked, sitting down on a bench. "Are...are you okay?" I asked, terrified of the answer. Luke looked at me, puzzled. "Yes! We're playing tag, and–" "No, Luke. Your dad isn't a nice person, and he hit you last week," I interrupted. Luke's eyes lowered as he shuffled his feet. My dad, he's—"

"What?" Luke asked. I didn't realize I had drifted off, so I began to look around. "Oh it's nothing. Just thinking, that's all," I sighed. Luke seemed concerned but let it go. "Why don't we go to my house? I have cookies and cream ice cream," I suggested, raising my eyebrows. Luke quickly agreed, and we headed toward my house.

~*~

As we arrived, hand in hand, my mother noticed before we got to the kitchen. I paused, hoping she would approve, but my luck failed.

"Absolutely not. I'm sorry Luke, but I'd like for you to leave," mom said. "Mom! You can't just do that. He's my boyfriend and my childhood friend. Are you afraid of the past? Are you afraid that one day, Allison will haunt you?"
I yelled right before she slapped me.

"Don't you dare speak that name. I raised you! I took you in, gave you food to eat. Allison is out of the question!" Mom yelled and walked away.

Luke ran towards me as I held my cheek. "Are you alright?" He asked, holding me as I began to cry.

My heavy sobs became short breaths as I nodded my head for what seemed like forever. "I just wish she could accept me," I breathed. Luke held me tighter, but it didn't change my past.