pt.8

Gabrielle layed there looking at the soldiers who loomed over her. They had clearly  discovered her after she had fallen asleep. The way they looked at her told Gabrielle that she now found herself in a very bad situation. She quickly attempted to get up but one of the soldiers used his boot to shove her back down. He kept his foot against her shoulder, pinning Gabrielle to the ground.

SOLDIER 1
Now, now there's no need for you to get up. You're fine just as you are. Well except for those clothes of yours. But we can take care of that, right boys?

The other two soldiers laughed as one of them pulled out a knife. He crouched down beside Gabrielle and held the blade to her neck.

SOLDIER 2
If you don't do anything stupid we might just let you live once we're done with you.

He chuckled as he lightly traced his knife down towards Gabrielle's top. Gabrielle did everything she could to keep herself calm during this. She kept watch on all three men. She knew that she was going to have to be smart if she was going to escape this unharmed. The soldier holding the knife took hold of Gabrielle's top with his free hand as he prepared to cut it off her. Then in a lightening fast motion Gabrielle grabbed both his wrists and drove the dagger that the soldier still held into his other hand. He yelled in pain and as he pulled back Gabrielle kicked him away.

SOLDIER 2
You stupid bitch! You'll pay for that!

The other two soldiers went after Gabrielle as she reached for her sais that she always kept near her. One of the soldiers drew his sword and swung it down at Gabrielle who was still on the ground. She grabbed her weapons and turned just in time as she raised her sais and blocked the attack. Gabrielle swept out his foot from under him and he fell. She then hopped up to her feet and kicked him right between his legs. He groaned in pain as he layed there holding himself. The third soldier grabbed Gabrielle from behind. She drove her elbow back into his ribs. He let go and Gabrielle spun around and smashed her elbow into his face. As he backed off the soldier that Gabrielle stabbed came back at her. Gabrielle hastily snatched up the chakrum that was sitting with her sais and threw it at the soldier. The weapon burried itself into his chest. He stood there for a moment motionless before falling back and just laying there on the ground. The other two soldiers saw what Gabrielle did suddenly didn't seem so interested in attacking her.

SOLDIER 3
Screw this I came to fight in an army not get killed by some crazy woman.

He ran off leaving the last of the three still standing there. The third soldier watched as his buddy ran off.

SOLDIER 1
Coward come back here!

He sneered as he turned his attention back to Gabrielle and was met with a fist to the face. He fell back and as he sat up Gabrielle jabbed her fingers into his neck using the pinch that Xena had taught her shortly before she died. Gabrielle didn't like to use it too often for multiple reasons. The fact that Xena had been so reluctant to teach her for a long time due to what had happened the last time she had taught it to someone. Gabrielle understood that and didn't want to miss use it knowing the significance of Xena's willingness teaching her the technique. And the act of actually using it brought back the painful memories for Gabrielle of saying goodbye to Xena and everything else during that time that lead up to Xena leaving this world. But in this instance Gabrielle felt it appropriate to use the hold. It almost seemed poetic in a way. Where it was once used before her death, now Gabrielle could be using the pinch to possibly give Xena back her life.

GABRIELLE
You're gonna be dead in about a minute unless I release the hold I just put on you. So start talking and tell me where you were heading to meet up with Xena's army.

SOLDIER 1
There's supposed to be a big fortress about four or five days walk north of here. That's all I know I promise.

Gabrielle believed him and released the hold. She stood over him as she looked north.

GABRIELLE
If you know whats good for you, you'll give up on joining that army. It's not going to be around much longer.

SOLDIER 1
Oh and you think you're going to stop Xena?

GABRIELLE
Yes.

SOLDIER 1
You might be tough but what makes you think you've got what it takes to take on that woman.

Gabrielle smirked.

GABRIELLE
Oh trust me I've got plenty.

The soldier looked on confused and terrified of the woman in front of him as he watched Gabrielle gather her things and began heading north. Before she left Gabrielle stopped and looked back at the soldiers.

GABRIELLE
Oh and you should really rethink the way you treat women. If you don't I'll find you and I'll bring Xena with me. And trust me when I say that she can be way scarier then me when given the right motivation. She hates people who take advantage of women and children. So take your buddy's advice and don't do anything stupid.

Gabrielle turned away and left, moving out towards Xena's fortress the soldiers told her about. As she walked she held her pendant tightly. Greatfull that in her dream Xena had warned her about the soldiers before they could do anything.

GABRIELLE
Thank you Xena. Even now you still find ways to look over and protect me. And now it's my turn to save you.

TO BE CONTINUED...