XVIII

As the agents and Resistance fighters stepped off from their respective trains, they were met with the hectic, urban city of Paris. Even the darkness of the skies bafalling the city, crowds of people swarmed the train station. However, this was quickly disregarded as they began walking to their next destination- being another Resistance owned hotel. Eloise stepped forward, confident that only a successful mission would be the only thing that would prevent her from returning back to England. She had been in France for quite a while; executing her tasks and missions with the utmost efficiency. Although her predicament was dangerous- it was for the sake of peace and the survival of her kin.
  She walked on from the vicinity of the train station, observing the activities that the Parisians conducted. Eloise knew that they were aware of their occupational status, but yet- Paris seemed normal (with the exception of patrolling Germans). She pondered whether this sense of normalcy would translate back in England or a feeling of estrangement would consume her. She had confronted a variety of dangers while attempting to preserve her life. Yet, even with the return to her homeland- she was uncertain if she could assimilate back to a sense of tranquility before the War.
  She had finally arrived in front of the hotel before consecutively going inside. Eloise recollected her thoughts and erased any trivialities that did not concern to the organization of the mission. She walked up to the receptionist, conversed with them shortly, and paid for the rooms of her associates before her keys were given to her. Advancing towards the hallway, she found the number of her hotel room and unlocked it. Entering inside, she set her belongings down and took a seat on one of the chairs.
  Looking towards the night sky through her window, she pondered if she could truly accept the luminosity of the stars.
  In an abrupt manner, Eloise heard a knock on her door. Upon hearing the noise, she immediately got up from her chair and walked towards the door before opening it. Once opening it, she saw the blonde Resistance fighter standing before her.
  "You've arrived quite early than usual." she commented.
  "I believe our mission is over- so I am eager to return back to Paris." Helmut responded.
  "I suppose you are right." she admitted. "All that there is left to do is for Drystan to execute his final mission."
  Eloise retracted her gaze before returning it to Helmut. "And what will you do after Drystan has finished his obligations? Afterall, you were the one who initiated the mission to transport Fred to Spain."
  "I assume I will continue to work with Klara until the war is over."
  "I wish you luck on your endeavor."
  "Thank you."
  Suddenly, both of them heard a pair of footsteps approaching. Looking towards where they heard the footsteps, they saw Gretilde and Drystan walking simultaneously. Each pair saw each other, causing the other two to quickly approach them. Eloise gestured to everyone to come inside her room. As they hurried into her room, she closed the door before returning to her chair.
  The rest of them took a seat on her couch and turned their attention to the agent.
  "It is much to our favor that we were able to finish our mission by handing Fred to Ciro." she began. "The success of our mission marks the beginning for Drystan and I to return to England."
  The three had been informed of these details; whether it was directly or indirectly.
  "Drystan, I expect you will done with your task tomorrow." Eloise expressed "Your target still resides in Hotel Majestic on the first floor. It should be fairly simple for you."
  The mute agent nodded with a reflected hesitance that plagued his mind.
  "Sigurd and the both of us must return to England or we will be endangering ourselves further by remaining in France for too long." Eloise insisted. "You must carry out your duties, no matter what the cost may be."
  Drystan grasped both of his hands tighter. Even she was informed of his predicament, but she nevertheless added to his pile of anxieties.
  "All of you, please get some rest for the next day. Tomorrow will most likely be our farewell."
  All three of them nodded and got up from the couch.
  "Good night." Gretilde spoke before leaving the room.
  Helmut shortly left after her and walked towards his room. There, Drystan began to step towards the door. His steps began to become consecutive and he exited outside her room, closing the door behind himself. Eloise looked towards the door.
  I can see his hesitance. It seems he has gotten attached to Barrett's daughter.
  Eloise switched her gaze towards her window.
  Klara has somehow softened his cold shell- even if it is a slight crack. If he decides not to execute his mission, our situation will prove to be more bothersome and complicated.
  The agent stood up from her chair and paced around her room. Perhaps, she will help him in a way where no one else could in England- but it will not serve to benefit me or the Allies.
  Regardless of what she thought, the decision to execute the mission was entirely in Drystan's volition. All she could do is continue carrying out her duties. Remembering an item that was often hidden in the hotel rooms (as she had been there for a multitude of times), she stopped pacing around her room. Eloise walked to her bedroom and quietly opened the cabinet. Rummaging through the many objects inside the closet, she had finally found her desired item.
  Pulling it out from the closet, she found a radio that was well hidden in the closet. She cautiously observed her surroundings before proceeding to inspect the radio closer. Eloise slowly turned one of the knobs, manipulating the radio to broadcast different channels. Finally, she had stopped turning the knob once she heard a peculiar broadcast. Immediately, she recognized the broadcast belonging from Radio Londres.
  Listening to any broadcast that was derived from the BBC was strictly outlawed by the Germans. The threat of punishment waned upon Eloise as the consequences of getting caught were dire. Still, she proceeded to listen intently to the broadcast.
  "With long sobs of the violins of autumn."
  Upon hearing the message, she turned off the radio and hid it within the closet. Shutting the closet and standing up, she felt newfound anticipation and hope.
  She decoded that an Allied invasion would soon come to France.

  The next morning, Drystan found himself to first one to wake up. He found it quite difficult to close his eyes before falling asleep last night. After fixing his appearance for the day, he exited out of his room and immediately proceeded to serve himself a plate of breakfast. Sitting down in solitude, he picked up his fork and poked a ration of his breakfast. As he brought the utensil closer to his mouth, he ate the piece of food from his fork.
  He stared at his food and let his intricate, frivolous thoughts pollute his mind. Instead of eating, he found himself focused on other subjects that he would usually deem as trivial. His frigid gaze merely fixated on his plate as he was too occupied with himself.
  "You came up early." a familiar voice interrupted his thoughts.
  Looking up from his plate, he saw Gretilde sitting down on a chair across him. She placed her plate in front of herself and directed her gaze towards the agent. The agent hesitantly looked directly at her.
  "Good morning."
  He nodded in response.
  She sighed, a bittersweet connotation infused with it. "So you're off to England after this mission?"
  He nodded once again.
  "I'd like to go to England someday. Perhaps, you can give me a tour after the war." she inquired.
  His guilt ate him from the inside, as she had done him no physical harm since the day they met- but he would be the one that would end the life of her father. Perhaps, he could compromise with himself for the cure of his emptiness. He took out his notepad and pen and began writing a message down.
  You would still be pleased to see me after the War?
  She read the message before looking at him. "Of course! It's a shame that I haven't learned much about you. I feel as if we're the same with our convictions."
  He nodded in agreement before he looked down at his plate, poking at his breakfast with his fork.
  "I could never share my beliefs with anyone back in Berlin or as strongly with anyone in France.
  "After we have won the War, I hope that I will be there to help you to get better from your past circumstances."
  He began to feel disgraced with each word she uttered. He knew she was trying to help him- but she was also hurting his conscience. Still, he hoped that somehow would be able to keep her promises while maintaining his principles. All he could do is respond back in a few words.
  Thank you.
  "It's really no problem at all!" she spoke with pure optimism.
  She was crushing him from the inside. He impulsively wrote a question to her.
    Would you ever go back on those words? Even if I have done something to upset you?
  His words piqued her curiosity. "Something to upset me?"
  She pondered on what he was indicating. "I don't believe you can upset me- unless you were to join in the ranks of those beasts."
  He shook his head- denying that vile possibility.
  "Please do not worry about that, I promise that I will not do anything to turn on my words." Gretilde assured before picking up her fork.
  Drystan nodded before eating a piece of breakfast from his fork. Chewing on it, he attempted to stay asserted to the goal of missions- overestimating her words.
  Does she see her father as a beast, he wondered. Perhaps, her father is akin to my own, he pondered
  He stabbed a piece of food with his fork. No, that must be absurd. He must be the same as the rest of them. Killing him will not be any different as disposing  any fascist that I have eliminated, he thought. It should not be hard to kill a fiend.
  It should not- it is necessary to reign victorious over the fascists.