chapter 2

·:*¨ ✘ die for you ✘ ¨*:·

.·:*¨ ✘ die for you ✘ ¨*:·.

ikran

you slightly bounce among the rope bridge as the forest boy follows you. you had to wait a bit for him to catch up since he went back a bit to grab some stuff he had to bring to the marui pod.

the walk to his family's marui pod was mostly silent. you were not one to start a conversation, and you weren't going to start now. meaning you thought the walk was going to be silent until you heard a voice.

"i'm neteyam, by the way," he says. his introduction was not wanted, but you appreciated it in a way. you knew you probably wouldn't have to interact with the sully family much, except maybe jake sully.

you thought a bit before you introduce yourself, "(y/n)."

"so, you're the future olo'eykte?"

"i am."

"have you gone through your iknimaya yet?" he asks. you stop walking for a bit, though you weren't the most interested in conversation with him before, now you are. questions starting to bubble in your mind as you continue your steps.

"i have started. i have tamed my tsurak but i have yet to do my trials, i don't have my tattoos yet. have you?" you ask him. you knew the omatikaya probably had different trials and he didn't know what you were talking about. but it was nice to have someone around your age that you could talk about iknimaya with, since ao'nung wouldn't start his for a bit.

"i've completed mine, i tamed my ikran on my first try. that's why i said i can deal with the ikran," he says. you look at him.

"okay."

there was a small silence between the two of you before he broke it.

"you know, i probably won't know my way around the village for a while. you should probably help with that," neteyam says.

you don't stop, but your head turns to look at him. your eyes lay cold on his figure, looking him up and down.

'mother was right, he's skinny. same with his tail. it is like a stick,' you thought unprovokedly.

"that is the job of my younger siblings, i am only helping now because you decided not to go with your family," you say.

"but you're still helping," he says with a shrug, walking by your side.

you ignore his words, and instead motion toward the marui pod in front of you, "here. your home, your family."

"thanks. hey, wait for me?" he asks, peeking out the marui pod.

you say nothing again. you look off into the horizon and allow neteyam to disappear from your sight. and you wait for him. you thought about leaving to deal with the ikran on your own, but in a way you felt like neteyam was right. even though you didn't want him to be.