chapter 5

·:*¨ ✘ die for you ✘ ¨*:·

.·:*¨ ✘ die for you ✘ ¨*:·.

basket

after having dinner with the sullys, it wasn't odd to see neteyam by your side. he was always finding some reason to be beside you

"no."

"please?"

"why?"

"i learn the best from you," neteyam said with a stupid smile.

as much as you didn't want to admit it, he was growing on you. although your demeanour was still cold, you waited for him to chase after you when his lessons for the day were finished and your duties were over. but you didn't make it obvious you were waiting for him, you would be hovering around spots you knew he would be and walking to your next idle task as he followed you around.

"you should be learning from tsireya or ao'nung. ao'nung is your age, you should be getting along better with him," you comment, picking up a couple of dried leaves, planning to weave a basket that your mother needed for herbs.

"i already said that i learn the best from you, plus shouldn't the future olo'eykte help their people?" neteyam asks.

you turn to look at him and just stare at him.

after a moment you turn away and shake your head a bit, "you are right, but you have my siblings assigned to you."

"you don't even know what i want you to teach me."

"tell me."

"teach me your finger talk thing," he says while moving his fingers in an indescribable pattern as you gave him another look, picking up the last of the leaves you needed and starting to walk away.

as always he chases after you as you look for somewhere to sit. when you sat down, he sat down in front of you. you laid out the dried leaves in front of you and picked up a couple leaves, starting the bottom of the basket.

"why weren't you assigned to help us?" neteyam asks, fidgeting with the leaves that you weren't currently using.

"i am not a teacher, tsireya is. and ao'nung knows more than others," you say, completing one row of the bottom of the basket.

"ah, i guess that makes sense," he replies, looking off to the ocean that was a bit away.

"how is your breathing?" you ask, wanting to know his status with that part of his training.

"i think it is going good?" he says, with a questioning tone at the end of his sentence.

"how long have you been able to hold your breath for?"

"a little longer than when i started, not as good as you guys."

"you'll improve fast," you say, hoping the best for him without verbally saying so.