𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨 | 𝘢 𝘨𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘱 𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨

╔═════ ✭✧✦✧✭ ═════╗
╚═════ ✭✧✦✧✭ ═════╝
02. 𝐚 𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐩 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠
───.◦*.:◦✧*.◦✰*.:◦✧*.◦:◦*.◦───

Marlene and the boys' fiasco would not be addressed until later that night as the gang sat in a booth at a diner. this was one of the first times they had gotten to hang out with everyone in a while and to say Marlene was happy was just the right thing to express the situation.

She was happy to be spending time with her friends, taking her mind off whatever was happening at home with her dad. So she enjoyed the company they brought her despite the fact she didn't show it.

As Dally finally arrived, Soda spoke up in order to start the conversation, "I have great news, everybody!"

All eyes turned to the boy with curiosity written on their face. Marlene was the only one who seemed to pick up on what he was going to say, "Sodapop Curtis, don't you dare."

His boyish, charming grin was the only reply she got as he turned back to look at the rest of the gang, "I have a girlfriend."

They sat in silence as Marlene's face settled into a hard glare. Darry was the one to ask the question everyone had been thinking of, "What's her name?"

"Oh, you guys actually know her, isn't that great?" The boys sat with confused looks, including Steve who had forgotten about the events before their dinner.

"It's Marley!"

The six pairs of eyes turned to her and she rolled her eyes, "I am not your girlfriend, Soda. You know I was only doing it because you practically manhandled me. And I told you not to bring it up again."

"No no no, we are not going to just brush this away. So, how did this happen? More importantly, when did this happen?" Two-Bit asked with wild eyes.

"I said shut up! I don't want to talk about it. I'll remember this, this is the last time I do something for any of you guys." Marlene had a look of sadness in her eyes as she thought of the events that happened earlier that day.

Soda was the only one who knew what that look meant and his eyes softened, "Marls, you know that whatever those girls said wasn't true, right?"

"What girls? And what did they say?' Dally's voice was heard for the first time that night.

"Nothing, Dal. It's stupid."

Dally rolled his eyes, "Uh huh, sure."

"Just forget about it. How was work, Dar?"

Darry was hesitant to move away from the subject but knew Marlene would leave. He launched into a conversation about the new roof he was working on and the gang only listened partially. It wasn't long before the waitress came around to take their orders.

As she approached the table, she eyed Dallas with practical heart eyes. Marley rolled her eyes as her best friend sent the waitress a wink. When her eyes fell on Dally's arm around Marley's shoulders, they narrowed with disgust.

"Hello, my name is Cindy I will be taking care of you today. Do you know what you guys would like today?"

The boys were quick to order and it finally came around to Marley. The waitress looked at her with annoyance and disgust, "And you?"

Marley thought back to what the girls at the gas station earlier that day once more and shivered. The look of judgment Cindy sent her way when she walked up to the table only made it worse, "I'll just have a water, please."