Chapter 1: Unrest

It was early in the morning, at the dawn of a new year. The Nubians called this the year of the buffalo- the year of firmness. In Uzi's household, it was the final year of the girls' training with the masters at the Temple. Zinzi was always the first to rise. Her silk dress was light and loose against the body. Her purple hair was bound together with palm strings and her skin washed well. She was very beautiful, but always second in fairness to Benu. Their father had waited until they were all at an age fit for them to start the Kazai together. Otherwise, Zinzi, who was the eldest, would have attained her levels first.

She sat alone at the cooking place, preparing a meal for the family. Sheba often rose second and helped with arranging their materials for their day, but today she was late. Zinzi did not want to wake her. She instead chose to grudgingly do everything by herself, grumbling internally and complaining about how the firstborn had to take care of everyone's messes, forgetting her usually unmade bed that Sheba often spread. As Zinzi skimmed milk into smaller vessels, she heard a knock. She listened, just to be sure. It could have just been someone turning in their bed. Just as she resumed skimming, another knock followed, and this time it was very distinct. It came from across the corridor. Whoever it was, was getting impatient.

"I heard you!" She answered, as more knocks followed. 'Who would be knocking on the door at this time?'

She held the wooden panel that locked the door, and, 'IMO-A-KHA' it swung open. A serious-faced man about her height stood with a chubby frame, covered in a thick cloak. He held a letter tightly under his left arm; and on his right, a shoal.

"Your mother's presence is required today at the council meeting, by our Lord, Ovu."

"It is courteous to at least greet the lady of the house, before ordering at her you know!"

"You are not the lady of the house, and young girl, you are barely a distinguished apprentice of the Kazai..." The man relented, however. "Greetings, this fine morning, Zinzi."

"That's better! It is a fine morning Tule. Mother is not awake yet, but I will let her know."

"Well, she must not be late. I will be on my way now, as my night is done. Enjoy your day." He handed her the letter, walking away in the direction of the beams of light escaping Beruel's hold. He lifted his shoal and laid it on his head as he disappeared in a distance. Zinzi then closed the door, only to find Sheba skimming the milk that was left.

"Ah! You let me do all the work while you were sleeping, and now you want to skim the milk?"

"Shika moo, Sister. Your stubbornness will get you someday..."

"It is good you are awake! Go tell Mother that she has to start preparing herself. There is a meeting she has to attend today and from what Tule said, it's a serious one."

Zinzi laid the letter on the shelf, quickly moving to take back the milk jar. Displeased, Sheba took the letter going ahead to the back, where their mother slept. She did not enter, but stood at the entrance of the room and called out gently, "Mother, there is a letter for you. The Lord Ovu requires your presence at the council meeting today."

There was no reply. She assumed that Erea was still asleep and called to her again. "I heard you, Sheba. I am already awake," she came in a croaky voice.

This was a very common response especially when her mother was not willing to step on the cold ceramic floor. Sheba went in and gave her the letter. Immediately Erea saw what it said, she jumped out of bed and into a frenzy.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"It just arrived Mother."

"Well, then it did not come early enough. At this time, I will most likely be late!"