PROLOGUE: PIL-FAH-SEIGH

A long time ago, while the world was still young, there lived two brothers. They were named Demi and Malong’. They were light beings created by Kai, to roam the lands East of Arikana and dwell there. Demi was not as adventurous or as wild as his brother Malong’. He was a cultivator. He grew seeds from the earth and planted trees in the forests. He called them from the ground, the air, and the water, and they would listen to his voice and flourish. Malong’ was a groomer. He was fond of beasts and of the long reach of the fields where he would often run to. He called the animals to become, one by one. The lions, the cheetahs, the jackals, the hyenas, the pheasants, the antelopes, the crocodiles, the butterflies, the cattle, the goats, the serpents, all these were well known to Malong’s heart. 

One day, when Demi was speaking to the trees, Malong’ was on the other side in the fields bored. He did not want to seek his brother for company, lest he was drawn into the endless feud of what they should plant next. His imagination was clouded. This was not his best day. He returned home and did not speak to Demi even when he was spoken to. The next day, Demi decided to join his brother in the fields, and instead of talking him into planting something, he wanted to help him be happy again. Malong’ saw this and thought, this was not his brother’s usual. Demi had never taken interest in what he did and did not care for the animals as much either. Every time he raised a forest, the fields got smaller. Many times Malong’ had tried to stop Demi, but being the youngest of the two, Malong’ mostly conceded. This was the day to show that he could make wondrous creations, greater than  Demi’s. 

He asked him to stand back and see what he was capable of. Demi obliged and watched as his brother worked with his hands. Malong’ thought that maybe if he fused some elements of the forests and those of the beasts, then he could wow his brother. He weaved and weaved, and sang and called, and finally, a mighty creature stood. The Shamalok, he called it. Demi saw this and thought that his brother was trying to belittle him. He called him the next day to the Lake, west of their home, and Malong’ witnessed as Demi weaved into being, a water creature from reeds and coral and the bones of dead fish. He called it; the Lukwata. It was mightier than the one Malong’ had made!

The next day, they went out to a fearsome contest, bringing forth many more abominations. Later that day, Kai came to visit the two as he had not seen them for some time. He had entrusted them with this part of His world. However, when he arrived, he was moved with distaste! Malong’ had just finished forging the most gruesome of all the beasts. A monster so great, only the oceans could hide: Leviathan! 

In fury, Kai arrested them. He then parted the soil, so that the belly of the earth was seen, and vanished the abominations, sealing the doors to the underworld. He took away the lightful nature of the two and cursed them to live as men of flesh. When they saw that they could no longer create, they asked that Kai be merciful and that He would allow them to marry and bear children, as their flesh could waste away. Kai saw this as a sincere plea and commanded that if it were to be, then they would have to live on separate ends of Arikana. Demi was given the East, and Malong’ the West. Kai then promised to send them maidens of flesh with whom they would marry and bear children. On reducing to an entirety of flesh, then all its ails would also befall them and their descendants.

Three days after the two brothers were separated by Kai, they became very lonely. Demi missed Malong’ so much that he walked to the fields to see if any memory of him would remain. There, The wind had refused to bring forth forests, and the seeds ceased to hear him. He sang in sorrow through the evening. 

Malong’ also missed his brother. In the West, trees did not sway as gloriously as those that Demi had created back home. He felt lonely and lost. The animals did not know him. Instead of lions letting him groom their mane, they became aggressive, chasing him away! He also wept, and when he had no more tears to cry, he slept as it was evening.