CHAPTER 4: THE PROPHECY

In those days, Ludwig had succeeded in starting two clinics in the Shani Kingdom. Supply vessels of guns and medicine appeared at the far coasts of Somaliland. Those who saw them said that they had witnessed more Welsh men there, however, they never alighted their boats. The material would be divided into trade routes to reach the Welsh who were now part of some communities in the Kush mainland. The Somaliland coast was chosen, to avoid the extortionist hand of the dominant Arabs, who had control over the Ocean trade routes in Shani.

The fears of more Welsh men coming to the lands were fueled further by tales of their barbaric thrust over Kirea, told by the traders who went out to the Ocean. However, they had established that there was a bigger population of pale-skinned people across the seas of reeds and Sumeria. The Arabs had told of how wealthy their civilisation was, with roads made of rock, and buildings that towered their villages, as well as a very unique sense of dressing. They would describe them as wagers of wars and drunks, which seemed indifferent to Ludwig who never took any brew. Not even the local MNAZI!

Since the first week of the Hika’s announcement, there had been a rise in demand for fine linen. The Arabs started docking in more ships, as the last of the season’s trips were about to happen. The planting season was the least favourable for people to trade, but this time, it almost surpassed the cold and harvest seasons! 

“I must go now”, Kenan said as he panned away from her, lifting back his shoal.

“You know, what Jero is doing is quite considerate. I expected YOU to be the one troubling over such.”

He turned back to see her face. Her eyebrows were lifted, her head tilted slightly to the left with her hands behind her back. 

“I did all that work- I just told you what I feel about you, and that’s the thanks I get?”

“To be fair, I never asked you to do anything in the first place. You slaved for no pay and you were fine with it.”

“I may not trust what Jero is up to, but you’ll see. ”

“Don’t get ahead of yourself, master. I have lots of suitors, and what a waste it would be if I did not take my time and choose properly.”

As this banter continued, Kenan’s thoughts returned; he was supposed to meet his father that evening to select an attire for the Hika. “I have to go. The Shifü doesn’t like to be kept waiting.”

“Go well, my Prince. And thank you for everything.” She had a beguiling smile on, turning away as if not needing any further exchange. His heart was full. She didn’t particularly say yes, but she had called him ‘my prince’ and she smiled!

The path back home seemed shorter that evening. He went past the streams that fed the river, all the way behind the closing markets, into the Chief’s homestead. It was a buzz of activity, as the women planned the feast. His mother had just delegated duties to them, and so they were channelling responsibilities to the cooks and the harvest workers. Kenan had overseen the previous harvest which was an overflow of grain and produce. The gods had truly been generous to them.

“My son, What joy is this?” Ma’ Lena, his mother asked him, noticing his renewed zeal as he passed by her hut. She wore an inner tunic and a light coat on top, without any ornaments. On her head, she had a grey coloured silk headgear, as the one women wore during work. “Mama, in a few tides, I will have by my side a queen as beautiful, and as diligent as you.”

“Oh my son, how glad I am glad that you are finally turning around to this. Go now, and meet your father before he becomes more impatient. You know how he is when you make him wait…” She blessed him and saw him to the quarters where Shifü was. He had not been this jovial ever since his father started speaking of the Hika. He felt coerced to do it. He often prayed about it, making libations and offering whenever he could. He hoped that things would go his way.