Chapter 42) Corridor

The prisoners go silent. After a moment, the blonde speaks. "For real?"

Rick nods. "Serious."

The tall man freaks out. "What about my moms?"

Another black man paces. "My kids, my old lady! Yo, you got a self-phone or something so we can call our families?"

Daryl lowers his crossbow. "You don't get it do you?"

Rick scratches his head. "No phones, no computers. As far as we can see, at least half the population's been wiped out. Probably more."

The hispanic man shakes his head. "Ain't no way."

Rick shrugs, pointing at the door. "See for yourself."
————————————————————————
Outside, the prisoners breathe in the air.

One of them tilts his head up. "Damn, the sun feels good."

The blonde chews his fingernails, looking at the bodies on the concrete. "They're all dead..."

The tall man pokes one with a stick. "So, what is this? Like a disease?"

Rick nods. "Yeah, but we're all infected."

The blonde raises an eyebrow. "What do you mean, infected? Like AIDS or something?"

"If I was to kill you, shoot an arrow in your chest, you come back as one of these things. It's gonna happen to all of us." Daryl tells him.

The hispanic looks at Rick. "Where'd y'all come from?"

"Atlanta."

"Where are you headed?"

"For now, nowhere."

The hispanic points down towards the grass. "I guess y'all can take the area down there by the water."

Rick shakes his head. "We're using that field for crops."

The other man eyes him. "We'll help you move your gear."

Rick crosses his arms. "That won't be necessary. We took out these walkers, this prison is ours."

The shorter man takes a step closer. "You snatched the lock off our doors."

T-Dog shrugs. "We can give you new locks if you want."

The hispanic grinds his teeth. "This is our prison! We were here first."

"Locked in the broom closet? We took it, set you free, it's ours, we spilled blood." Rick says.

"We're moving back into our cell block." He says.

"Find your own." Y/N says.

"It is mine. I've still got personal artifacts in there, that's about as mine as it gets!" He pulls out his gun and aims it at Y/N. His face pales slightly when he notices her sword, under his chin.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." She says with a small smile.

Daryl holds up his crossbow and looks at Rick. He's holding his hand up.

The blonde tries to break it up. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, maybe let's try to make this work out so everybody wins!"

"I don't see that happening." The hispanic man says.

Rick nods. "Neither do I."

After brief conversation, the man pulls his gun away. Y/N lowers her own sword and takes a step back, where T-Dog stands. He glances at her with a look that says "You okay?" She nods, taking a deep breath. It may have looked like she was calm, but really she was breaking down.