✰~Chapter 1~✰

"Come on Maki! Chill out, just because you got a 98/100 doesn't mean anything bad! If anything, it means you have an area to improve on!" Kaito said as he patted my shoulder.

It was lunchtime, we were on the rooftop, eating our lunch.

"Kaito, you don't understand, Akamatsu got an 100." I said, obviously pissed.

"And? I don't see what the problem is?" Kaito said, his mouth stuffed to the brim with food.

"Kaito.. Are you serious? The Akamatsu family has a been long lived enemy of my family! If they found out she got a better test score than me, they'll probably make me watch those 'cute adorable animal' compilations!"

"Then.. Why don't you just lie..?"

"Because they'd then try to show off to the Akamatsu family!"

"Huh..?"

"Ugh, nevermind."

We continued eating our lunch until a familiar figure walked over to me.

Kaede Akamatsu.

"Harukawa, I heard you got an 98/100..? Is this true?" Kaede asked.

"Maybe it is, maybe it isn't! Why do you care!?" I snapped.

"Well, you've always been smarter than me, so if you want we can swap our papers.." Kaede fiddled with her hair as she spoke.

"Wait.. What?"

"Y-yeah, I just.. I don't want this rivalry to go on for any longer.."

"And this isn't a trap?"

"It's not a trap, no."

"And why should I believe you?"

"I don't know, if anything you shouldn't believe me, our families have been rivals for so long that I wouldn't be surprised if your family had told you horrible things about my family."

"Hm.. Fine then, hand me your test paper.." I eyed her closely as I got my test out of my bag and handed it to her.

"So.. Truce?" Kaede asked.

"We'll see how it goes." I replied.

I handed my test paper to Kaede.

"There, make sure you rub out my name and replace it with your name, got it?"

Kaede nodded in response and walked off.

"Eh..? What just happened..?" Kaito asked, his face still full of food.

"Don't talk while you're eating, Kaito." I answered as I went back to my food.

But I answered Kaito's question in my head..

I don't know.