CHAPTER 14. LOOSE ENDS

The line goes dead and my jaw drops. I stare down at my phone in disbelief. I cannot believe what he just said to me.

At least I know he really did purposely hang up on me before! What an asshole!

Even though I planned on breaking up with him soon, it still hits me hard. I realize that the steamy fling I had with him in Florida is now just another failed relationship of mine. I feel really bad for breaking his heart like this, but we had slowly drifted apart and everything just sort of fizzled out between us. He also changed. He was starting to be controlling and downright rude to me at times. I know I don't really need to reassure myself with all of these excuses, but it does somehow make me feel a little better.

I wonder how he even found out about Jace? One of his undercover agents must have been keeping tabs on me the whole damn time and was reporting back to him, I guess.

I hear Jace at the door, fumbling around with his keys. I quickly wipe my eyes with my sleeve, dismiss the alarming phonecall I just had with Adam and jump up to go greet him.

"Hey, how did it go?"

"Well, they briefed me and I took them to your old room, showed them the hidden door we found and I told them all about what we found in the cellar, too. They're getting ready to go do a thorough search and they want the tablet and backpack."

"Damn! I really wanted to go investigate and see where those stairs led to. Well, did you tell them how we used Blake's same code that he always used to get into the tablet?"

"Yeah, I did, and they wrote everything down that I told them. For now, we are going to have round-the-clock security throughout the entire hotel as well as the grounds. They also asked that if we are going to leave the property to clear it with them first and they will assign agents to go along."

"Are you serious? We're supposed to go shopping for my dress and your tux with Tiffany and the others later, so we have to get permission from the FBI to go to a formal wear store now?"

"Wait! Why are we going shopping for dresses and tuxes?"

"Oh shit, I forgot. Tif texted me after you left and said Aunt Rose is throwing a big birthday bash for John and I guess it's going to be a masquerade ball, actually, so we have to get all dressed up."

"I'm not sure the FBI is going to like that idea. I'm not sure I like the idea."

"Well, I'm sure Aunt Rose will take care of everything. I mean, it's still her hotel and we have extra security and FBI agents. I'm sure everything will be fine. Besides, it sounds like so much fun!"

"Alright, what time are we supposed to be going? I'll need to run it by the agents and then talk to my aunt about it all first, though."

"Tif is supposed to let us know. Hey, we can just talk to them about it at dinner tonight."

"Ok, sounds like a plan. I'm going to go take a shower and get cleaned up. Do you want to take a walk with me around the estate when I'm done? We could have a picnic by the lake and maybe do some fishing, too."

"Yeah, that sounds fun. Let me finish unpacking while you take a shower, and we can go."

After he goes into the bathroom and closes the door, I sneak back over and pull the bottle from the drawer. Just seeing it brings back such wonderful memories and I firmly believe that it's the reason Jace and I are together right now. I press my lips to the glass and give it a big, grateful smooch. Just as I'm about to put it back into the drawer, I hear Jace clearing his throat behind me.

"Hey, I can explain. I brought that with me because I thought we'd both get a good laugh over it!"

"Aww Jace, you don't have to explain anything to me. I'm actually impressed that you're so sentimental. I love it that you have a big heart and I think it's sexy as hell you're showing me your soft side."