Chapter 7

The aftermath of the gunshots hung in the air, a stark reminder of the peril we had just unleashed. With the knowledge that the newcomers would soon be upon us, urgency propelled us forward. The sound of our trap springing, followed by a man's screams, pierced the thick forest air, guiding us to our next move. I led the way, Madi's footsteps a steady echo behind mine, as we navigated the dense underbrush, our familiarity with this terrain our only advantage. Reaching the trap, I quickly surveyed the scene. The man lay writhing, caught in our snare, his cries a beacon for those who followed. We found cover in a thicket, the rough bark of the trees pressing into our backs. My rifle scope was my window to the unfolding drama, the man in the trap now a pawn in a larger game. I could feel Madi's presence beside me, her breaths shallow and rapid in the charged silence.

"Kegan, this isn't right," she murmured, her voice barely audible above the rustle of leaves. Her eyes, wide and conflicted, searched mine for answers we both knew were hard to come by.

"Madi, I know," I sighed, the words heavy with shared understanding. This forest, these hidden paths and secret hideaways, they were more than just our shelter; they were a part of us. "But this is our home. Your home."

Her eyes hardened with a mix of fear and resolve. "And they want to take it from us," she stated, a clarity emerging in her young voice.

"That's right," I confirmed, my focus unwavering as I peered through the scope. The forest around us felt alive with unseen threats, each shadow a potential danger.

Her next words were a plea for mercy, a reflection of her still untainted humanity. "But he doesn't have to suffer. We can kill him now, right?"

I paused, feeling the weight of her gaze on me. "Not yet," I replied, feeling her disappointment in my decision. The necessity of our strategy was a bitter pill to swallow, especially for one so young.

As we lay in hiding, the forest seemed to tense around us, every sound magnified. The occasional rustle of leaves, the distant footsteps approaching - each added to the tapestry of tension that enveloped us. My fingers tightened around the rifle, the metal cold and unyielding, a stark contrast to the warmth of Madi's presence beside me. In these moments, our survival hung in a delicate balance, a balance we were determined to maintain at all costs.

The forest, once a haven of natural tranquility, was suddenly transformed into a perilous warzone. As the adversaries broke through the treeline, time seemed to slow. My finger tensed on the trigger, the rifle responding with a resounding crack. The bullet flew true, striking one of the figures in the forehead, sending him tumbling back into the underbrush. The others scattered, their movements a chaotic dance of survival. In the midst of this turmoil, one man stood out. He hoisted what I had initially assumed was a hefty machine gun. But as he aimed and unleashed its power, the reality of its capabilities hit me with a gut-wrenching jolt. It wasn't a barrage of bullets that it released, but a blinding burst of energy, cutting through the air with a terrifying force.

Reacting instinctively, I abandoned the rifle and lunged towards Madi. My body enveloped hers, a desperate shield against the onslaught. The energy wave hit with an almost physical impact, sending a searing ring through my ears and a shockwave through my body. For a moment, the world was nothing but a blur of sound and light, disorienting and overwhelming. As the ringing subsided to a dull roar, I raised my head, each movement an effort through the haze of disorientation. "Madi," I croaked, my voice rough with concern. Turning to her, I saw the shock mirrored in her dazed expression. "Madi, are you ok?" I asked, needing to hear her voice, to know she was unharmed.

She was alive, but the attack had left her visibly disoriented, her gaze unfocused and distant. Knowing we couldn't afford to stay exposed, I urged her to her feet. "We've gotta get up, Mads," I said, my voice a mix of pain and resolve.