Chapter 19

"My sister wouldn't sanction human experimentation, no matter how dire the situation," Bellamy argued, his voice laced with a mix of denial and concern.

"Desperation can turn the unthinkable into a dark reality," I countered, feeling the gravity of our situation.

"But if she deploys those worms as a weapon in the valley, then Echo, Raven, Murphy, Emori, Kane, and your mom—" Bellamy began.

"It's not just them," Monty interjected, his voice strained. "It's all of us."

"Releasing an invasive species into the last arable land on Earth is an act of madness," I added, my tone grave.

Bellamy, his frustration palpable, ran his hands through his hair. "Even if Octavia knows, she won't listen to me. We need more influence."

He subtly nodded towards Indra at the other end of the hall. Monty and I caught the implication immediately. "Be diplomatic," I said with a wry smile as Bellamy approached Indra.

"Kegan, he was there when Pike shot her and killed three hundred of her people," Monty cautioned, reminding me of the delicate history at play.

Acknowledging Monty's wisdom, I nodded and followed Bellamy. "I'll go with him."

"Yeah," Monty huffed, resignation in his voice. "I'll go check on Harper."

I caught up with Bellamy, who stood awkwardly at the end of the table, being blatantly ignored by Indra's group. "Hey," I said with a forced smile. "We need to talk to Indra."

Without waiting for an invitation, I firmly commanded, "Ge au (get out)," directing it at the Grounders with Indra. They exchanged glances before Indra gave a subtle nod, and they reluctantly left their seats. Bellamy and I quickly took their places.

"Real diplomatic," Bellamy muttered, his voice tinged with sarcasm.

Bellamy's question to Indra carried an undertone of disbelief and urgency. "Indra, would Cooper undertake something this significant without Octavia's approval?"

Indra's response was tinged with confusion and caution. "Only if she had my approval first. But I'm in the dark about what you're implying."

I stepped in, the weight of our discovery heavy in my voice. "Cooper has resurrected the worm project."

The revelation hit Indra like a physical blow. Her seasoned warrior facade cracked, revealing a flicker of shock. Octavia, it seemed, had kept her in the dark.

Bellamy added with a grim tone, "She's breeding them, experimenting on defectors. We found one still clinging to life."

"Why would Octavia do this?" Indra's voice was a mixture of disbelief and dawning horror.

I speculated, trying to piece together the rationale behind such a monstrous plan. "Perhaps she's seeking a method to keep the worms dormant long enough for a strategic deployment in the next defection."

Indra's nod was slow, her eyes hardening with a warrior's pragmatism. "A clever strategy. Show me this."

I led them to the hydro farm, employing Monty's makeshift lock-picking method. Inside, I unveiled the grotesque scene to Indra, who reacted with visible revulsion. Her eyes scanned the containers, her expression hardening with each passing second. After a brief contemplation, Indra reached into the containment chamber with a steady hand, her gesture one of mercy as she ended the defector's suffering. "Yu gonplei ste odon Tarik kom Louwoda Kliron Kru," she intoned solemnly.

The beeping from outside the room broke our grim contemplation. Indra was the first to move, her voice firm. "Let's finish this."

Octavia's entrance with Cooper was marked by surprise that quickly morphed into annoyance. "What are they doing here, Indra?" she demanded, her tone laced with disdain.

Indra confronted her directly. "You were aware of this?"

Octavia's response was chilling in its frankness. "It was my idea. We're facing an enemy with overwhelming advantages. This evens the odds."

I couldn't contain my frustration. "And what of the valley, the land you're fighting for? What happens when it's ravaged by these creatures?"

Cooper interjected with a coldly scientific rationale. "The worms won't survive long in a fertile environment. Just enough time to eliminate the enemy before we arrive."

Bellamy's anger erupted. "We're discussing the lives of our friends, people we care about!"

Octavia's reply was devoid of any warmth. "Acceptable losses," she stated, her voice echoing a chilling detachment.

The gravity of her words hit me like a tidal wave. Raven, my mother, Kane, and the woman Bellamy loved were all in the valley. Octavia's transformation into this callous leader was complete – a far cry from the sister Bellamy once knew. She stood before us, a commander willing to sacrifice everything, even her own humanity, for victory. Octavia's command resonated with an air of cold authority. "Cooper, check on the worms." Her eyes then swept over us, her voice laced with a bitter challenge. "Come on, big brother. How many innocents have you sacrificed, or you, Wanheda? This is no different. You fought to save your people. So am I."

The tension in the air was palpable as Cooper stepped out from the plastic tent, her expression a mix of frustration and disbelief. "You killed him," she said, her voice strained.

"No," Indra countered firmly, her gaze steady and unwavering. "You did."

"Cooper?" Octavia's voice was sharp, demanding an answer.

"The defector survived," Cooper replied, her voice devoid of emotion, masking the turmoil beneath.

Bellamy's response was bitter, his voice tinged with contempt. "Looks like we found something that's not acceptable," he sneered, standing resolute beside me.

Cooper faced Octavia, her tone apologetic yet justifying. "Blodreina, the results were remarkable. The worms reproduced three times faster in a living host. We need both quantity and control for this plan to work."

"Octavia, you don't want to do this," I pleaded, my voice echoing the desperation I felt.

"Spare me your hypocrisy, Kegan," Octavia retorted, her voice cutting like a knife. "Miller told me about the man you irradiated in Becca's lab..."

She turned back to Cooper, seeking details. "And how long did your test subject survive?"

"Long enough for a defector to board their ship and fly to the valley," Cooper answered, her words chilling in their implication.

Bellamy's plea was heart-wrenching. "Octavia, please... don't do this."

"I don't want anything to happen to your friends, Bellamy," Octavia started, her voice attempting a hollow sympathy. Her words felt like a betrayal, a stark departure from the familial bonds we once shared.

"Not even Echo," she continued. "But this is war." She sighed, a sound heavy with the weight of her decisions. "Once we control the eye in the sky, we send the worms. Cooper, choose an elite guard for the mission. Wonkru must return home."

The room fell into a heavy silence, filled with the gravity of Octavia's orders. Her decision, unflinching and resolute, marked a chilling turning point in the war. It was a stark reminder of the lengths she was willing to go to, a once-beloved sister now enshrouded in the shadows of war.