Chapter Two: Deus Dormit

I looked all over the place to find her, no such luck. Did she escape to safety? I prayed that was the case. Then, I saw a letter addressed to me, from Amber.

"(Y/N), I want to talk to you about the light in the night sky a little more. So when you have the time, meet me back here in the Embassy. This light is the key that could give us the answers we seek.

-Amber Monroe"

Just what was she talking about? I will admit however, this light had me more than curious. But something else perplexes me about all this. If that girl and I are to fight, the only question I have is, why? What led to that fight? A disagreement, or something more sinister?

Also, seriously, why couldn't anyone else but me and Amber see that light? It's mind boggling. So I wait, a few more days of missions and then I'll get some time off. At least, that's the hope.

-Day 12: Light from the Heavens-

One day however, I caught Sander speaking with his higher ups about something called, Project Thirteen. "Project XIII is showing much promise. In due time, we shall see to it that more like them are created for the same purpose." Sander said. "Very well. Continue to provide updates, today marks day eleven of thier existence." One woman said. Day eleven? And what even IS Project XIII? Regardless, today was my day off, I wasn't going to worry about this right now.

I snuck into the Embassy and met Amber who was in the same spot as she was when we first met. I was in my field gear and she was in what looked to be a kimono with the number thirteen inscribed on her right sleeve, in roman numerals. "Glad to see you again (Y/N)." She said. "Yeah, glad to see ya too Amber." I replied. We looked at the light from the sky with many questions running in our minds. "Just what's up there?" We asked each other. "Maybe if we fly up there, we'll find out." Amber joked. "No way. I can only warp." I said. She gave me a playful push and we shared a laugh.

Suddenly, I got a text from Freddy, asking where I am. I told him I was at the museum. It was open at this hour so he wasn't surprised and left it at that. "At the museum huh?" A male voice said. I turned around to see that Freddy had followed me back to the Embassy.

"Hehehehe... Hi Freddy..." I said nervously. "I'll keep quiet about this, if you get me some new shades." He said. Of course it was about the sunglasses. He was an eyewear aficionado. "Fine. I'll do it. Just please don't let Sander know." I said. Freddy just said. "No promises." With a wink. He then made the OK sign and held his finger. "Freddy. No." I said. He laughed then left us alone.

"Anyway. That light. What is it?" I said. "That's what I'm still trying to figure out." She said. I looked at it and suddenly felt a sharp pain hit me in my left arm. Then flashes of images appeared in my head. And a voice kept saying something.

You must flee! They will discard you! You're just a puppet!

I didn't wanna believe it. I refused to, then I looked at Amber's face which was lined with worry. "Sorry I scared you." I said. Getting up was a little hard. When I put my hand on the glass, I saw I left a red stain there. Blood? No, it can't be. I hadn't been fighting for a good bit right? Amber gave my hand a rub with a small moist towel. "I've been wondering." She said. "Before we met a few nights ago, why did it feel like we already knew each other?" This took me by surprise. But I did have that dream about her and me fighting over something. But still, what led to that fight happening at all? "To be honest, I feel the same way-" Before I could finish, I suddenly passed out.