Chapter 13 - Dog Tag

Day 12, Morning

Lin and I live nearby and so we are packing buddies. Meaning we go home to pack our daily necessities together. We have already dropped by her house and she has finished gathering the things she needs. So right now, she is waiting for me as I grab some of my stuff.

I unzip my backpack and grab my favourite dino pyjamas, a pair of knee length blue pants with shark prints over it and my white Lego T-shirt from the top drawer of my wardrobe. From another drawer I grab a pair of clean underwear and a pair of socks before rolling everything neatly into my backpack. I am ready to go. Wait... I pat my pockets but it's not there. Oh no! Where did it go? I hurry to look around the floor and there it is, at the corner of my bed, just beside the door.

Phew!! My family is safe.

I quickly grab the souvenir key chain from the floor and kiss it. It contains a picture of my family and I at the Crocodile farm, pretending to be attacked by crocodiles. I can't lose this. NOT EVER.

Wait, I have an idea!

I hurry over to my parents' room and head straight to Mommy's dressing table. I pull open her accessories drawer and see what I am looking for. I take a long, silver necklace from her drawer and remove the heart-shaped locket hanging from it. My fingers gingerly slip one end of the necklace into the metal loop of my keychain and let my family picture zip-line to the middle. I then clasp the ends of the necklace together securely. Now it looks like a soldier's dog tag. I throw the necklace over my head and let the picture of my family drop inside my shirt.

I love you guys a million, a trillion, a gazillion.