Chapter 5: Entity

A/N: Hello, it's ya boi again.

I got a sudden strike of inspiration to write so I wrote this chapter as fast as I could before I lost it. Trying to properly build and not just make all the things I want to happen in my brain happen at once. It's hard.Enjoy.

Nightmare wasn't sure how he was going to go about this conversation. He knew Erratum was going to become immediately defensive over whatever had happened last night in that now destroyed universe. He didn't even know if the other was aware of what had happened; they had seemed rather vacant and impaired. Regardless of how they might react, Nightmare had to say something. It was for their own good.

He broke out of his thoughts as said Guardian stepped through an open rift, looking slightly perplexed. Nightmare was simply relieved they seemed to be in their right mind at the moment. They both met eyes after a moment and Nightmare knew this wasn't going to be pleasant. The last thing the other wanted to hear was-

"I think there's something wrong with me."

Oh.

Well, perhaps not then.

"We... that was actually what we wanted to talk about." Nightmare recovered after a moment, finding he could go about this conversation now in an entirely different way. "Do you... remember last night?" He questioned first, trying to gauge their memory. Erratum frowned as they raked their mind for any sort of memories before waking in Reapertale. They shook their head after another moment of thought, causing the spirit to give a heavy sigh. "That's what we thought. We...I'm actually more relieved to hear that, though probably infinitely more concerned that you're not remembering... what you're doing."

"What did I do?"

Nightmare was quiet, really not wanting to answer that question. "Let's... before we get into that, we have to address the-" He trailed off, not wanting to use a metaphorical idiom and confuse them. "Address the elephant in the room" was certain to veer them off track and only further confuse them. "We have to address the other issue." He could see the other didn't want to discuss it but Nightmare wasn't having it this time. "No, we have to. We're starting to believe it's affecting your mind and your body now, clearly." He refused to let the Guardian brush it aside.

"They aren't related," Erratum denied immediately at this statement. "I'll admit to having... some intrusive thoughts at times-"

"Stop," Nightmare sighed, lightly beating his fists against his own temples with frustration. "You're minimizing the issue and we cannot express how serious this is. Erratum, we're worried about you and what this might progress into. These aren't just 'intrusive thoughts' and, while we can respect your belief and want to not acknowledge them to not give them power, it doesn't work with things like this. It doesn't work because these aren't thoughts. At the very least, they don't feel like your thoughts." He attempted to explain to them with a tired sigh. He didn't sleep very well after returning home, too worried about his absent soulmate and their condition.