Chapter 6: Book of Souls

Notes:

I started writing this two weeks ago.

I had surgery in that time and found out I have MRSA and pseudomonas in my larynx, however, and also became alarmingly depressed to the point I was worried for a bit. I am still very sick and very depressed, but I've been having bursts of inspiration from time to time and I NEED to get a chapter of this out SOMEHOW.

Enjoy.

"I usually prefer a prior warning before having 'guests'."

Erratum wasn't too put off by the knowledgable demigod's evident exasperation. "I don't pull this card often, but I'm a Guardian and I don't exactly have to explain myself to you." They glanced at the Alphys of this world, who seemed slightly put off. "You're still irritated about the removal of the diety law books."

"Of course I am." Alphys huffed as she crossed her arms. "Not... not that I doubt your intentions or that what you do is for the greater good, but..." She moved to wring her hands nervously, remembering she was talking to a higher being. "I preserve knowledge and every piece of information is important!"

"It was doing more harm than good," Erratum disagreed as they continued to scan the spines of various tomes. This was the only other place in the multiverse that rivaled Nightmare's collection of knowledge. "They were false doctrines created by mortals under the false pretense that it was Guardian word and law. It is absolute nonsense and I've removed all traces of it." They reminded her. "I'm making slow work creating a newer doctrine with Toby but, as you can imagine-"

"It's a slow write when one can barely comprehend English and the other has paws." Nightmare chimed in, skimming through a book in his hands. Erratum gave him a withering look, clearly unimpressed with his input. His tendrils stiffened at a shattering sound nearby, causing him to whip his head around toward the noise.

"Kairos!"

They shouldn't have been surprised; the kid could hardly sit still the way it was. Alphys quickly scurried down the aisle of books, turning the corner with a gasp. "My pottery!" She exclaimed at the shattered clay vase on the ground. Erratum sighed heavily as they followed more slowly, Nightmare reluctantly doing the same. The Guardian gave the younger monster an unimpressed look once they got there, seeing him fumbling with his goggles nervously with a sheepish grin.

"Oops?"

When Erratum had fixed Ink's soul and bound their form to this body's soul, they had realized they held very little respect for certain Guardians. The one they clashed with the most was Time and the stubborn Guardian had just as many issues with Erratum. Time had pawned off their very, very young Champion on Erratum almost immediately after choosing him. Erratum highly disagreed with this choice and eventually informed the being that Time Kid would simply not be doing any of that nonsense; end of story. They refused to banter and argue regarding the matter, stating it as a simple fact and leaving it at that.