Chapter 9: The Calm Before

A/N: I SWEAR I'M TRYING.

After what happened previously with getting some pretty horrific comments, I've been spiraling hard and barely holding on, quite honestly. I'm writing in small chunks and trying to motivate myself to write, but nothing helps anymore. Nothing makes me happy anymore, but I'm trying. So, shorter chapter because it's a struggle to even push these out.

Also, if you're wondering why I write paragraphs and speech the way I do, it's because I had some comments once about it being easier for people with certain processing issues or with ADHD to be able to read it easier. So, yeah.

Enjoy.

The celebratory festivities had become a frantic and sorrowful affair. Reaper was still staring at the spot Geno had vanished from, sockets void as Goth cried in his arms. Cross was attempting to console him while the others murmured amongst themselves.

Life was crouched down over Toby, gently offering her healing Magic to the strange Guardian. Nothing seemed to stick, however, and the canine continued to whine on the ground where they had landed. The Toriel demigoddess glanced back helplessly, trying to convey she was doing all she could. Healing a Guardian appeared to be much different and significantly more difficult than healing a mortal.

"So..."

Inks stood beside Dream, who looked just as concerned as the others. Ink sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck, unsure what to make of all this. "What uh... what happens now?" He knew it was a question they had to address sooner rather than later.

"We need some time to think," Nightmare replied with a look of concentration, tendrils curling as a tell of his anxiety. "It's... a delicate situation, one we didn't think we'd ever find ourselves in." He admitted, a bit sour that he couldn't immediately work out a solution.

"He's connected to my own code, in theory," Errata spoke up after a moment, a distant look in their eye. "In a way, he's similar to me." The god continued as they pondered over the thought. If that were true, then perhaps if they-

The Guardian cringed at a sudden pain in their skull, covering the spot Ink's brush had whacked.

"Stop resorting to self-sacrifice as your first option!" Ink griped at them, easily able to read the expression on their face. "Why is murder-suicide always your answer??"

Erratum wouldn't say it's their first answer. It certainly wasn't their preferred method considering they had much more to live for than just the Balance now. Still, they could understand the immediate assumption the other had. They could tell Nightmare thought the same by the way his gaze practically pinned them in place.

"That's not an option,"

Nightmare reiterated this with a vicious lash of his tendrils. Erratum decided not to press the matter more, lest they cause the Corruption to front to give his own threat. The dark spirit glanced at Life, seeing her exchanging concerned words with Dream. It was clear neither of them were finding any success in alleviating any of Toby's pain.