Chapter Two

It's been three months since I saw Emilie and Myra, it seems as if they disappeared. Last week I went to their flat and found the door unlocked and their things gone. My mother hasn't said much about it, not even when I listen in on her conversations over the phone. Right now I'm sitting in my room chatting with my friend Sam, a Dauntless girl I met three months and seven weeks ago by the fence, she is amazing. We are the same age and like the same things, she doesn't seem to fit in anywhere though. I'm fearful but happy that the odds of us being Divergent are so high, we've had several conversations about this.

"Sylvie?" My mother's voice came through the door, Sam stopped smiling and ran to my closet and shut the door behind her.

"Sylvie, who are you talking to?" She asked as she opened the door and looked around my room. Nathaniel, nine and a half months and walking, stood by her feet clinging to her leg. I shook my head and shrugged, taking time to think of an excuse.

"Nobody, I wasn't talking to anyone." She looked at me suspiciously and walked over to my bathroom door and opens it. Oh god, she's going to find her, Nathaniel skittered over to the side of my bed and I pulled him up into my lap. His hair was blonde and his eyes green, we both looked like our mother.

"Nathaniel, I need you to do something." I whisper in his ear do mother wouldn't hear us.

"Okay." He whispered and smiled, I told him to complain that he's hungry and ask for some food. He nodded and crawled off my bed, he wore a blue shirt and a white diaper.

"Mama," he tugged at her skirt, "I'm hungry." She sighed and looked at me, I smile and shrug. Then she looks down at Nathaniel and smiles before picking him up.

"I want you down for dinner in ten." After she exits, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Sam came out of the closet with a wide smile on her face. We hugged goodbye before she climbed out the window. I checked the clock and left my room, I ran down the hall and saw my dad.

"Clearly something's wrong, I mean, if you're not at work it's pretty serious." He sighed and rolled his eyes, sadly that's the only communicating we really make.

"You're father wants you to live with him." I couldn't help it, I began laughing hysterically and saw their faces grow confused.

"You've got to be kidding, what serum are you on? We hardly know each other, sorry Thomas, but I think I'll pass." My mother had on a white apron and she walked over to me and took a deep breath.

"It was my idea." My heart just shit it's pants, my mother thought of this. I felt my chest shiver and my cheeks began warming up. My eyes, I could feel, get watery, but I quickly blinked the tears away and smiled.

"Why?" Is all I managed to croak, she tried to hug me but I quickly stepped away from them both.

"I might as well live by myself, the bastard hates me." I say, motioning to my father, I'm sorry but it's true. He doesn't talk to me and doesn't look at me, he ignores me, and he doesn't even know my age.

"Watch your mouth." She hissed.

"No. I will not watch my mouth, not when I speak the truth. He. Hates. Me. You do too, I know it, if you have the guts to send me to a negligent father who has missed my past fifteen birthdays....you're heartless and cold." While I was speaking, tears fell like a waterfall and I became more furious and confused as I spoke. My mother looked down and then at my father who was ready to burst.

"You never speak to us like that young lady!" His voice roared and caused Nathaniel, who was at the table, to cry. He stormed over to me and raised his hand, that's when I closed my eyes. My cheek burned and I felt like crying even harder, I heard my mother and father shout. Without thinking, I grabbed my jacket and ran out of the house into the cool night. I ran, crying, until I couldn't hear my parents shouting after me, soon I was only panting, no longer sobbing. Soon, I reached the fence, where I sat down with my jacket in my lap. I soon grew tired and I wrapped myself in the blue cardigan I was holding. After sitting in the cool air, I closed my eyes and drifted into a deep sleep.