Pool talk

After dinner, I went to my room and put the invitation on my window sill. I had pretty much already made up my mind to say no but I hadn't actually checked off no yet

I wanted to go swimming but decided to ask belly first.
(A/N) text messages will be italicized!
——————————————————————————
B <3

Bellyyyyyyy

Yeah?

Wanna come swim in the pool with me?

Can't, sorry I'm on call with Taylor rn :(

Kk that's fine dw about it :)
——————————————————————————
I don't actually mind swimming alone, it lets me collect my thoughts. Yeah, I guess it would be more fun with belly but it's peaceful when I'm alone. I put on a random bikini and went into the pool. I was swimming for a bit and did the backstroke. Once I got tired I just started to float on my back. Slightly pushing with my arms to move around slowly.

I was just floating and letting the water slowly move me when I bumped into something. I noticed it wasn't the wall so I opened my eyes while still floating and looking up. I saw Conrad sitting on the edge of the pool with his legs in the water looking down back at me with a slight smile.

"Hey" he said calmly. I noticed he was smoking. "Well that's new" I thought to myself.

I kept floating on my back and asked "since when do you smoke?"

"I don't know?" he said shrugging "Since like November of last year?" I got as a response. I was honestly fighting the urge to say "omg twinsies!!" In a high-pitched voice as a joke but decided not to.

"Well, what's your favorite song?" I asked

"For what?" Conrad said looking confused

"So I can play it at your funeral in like 20 years obvi," I said smiling but clearly joking. He laughed a bit because that was the type of humor we used with each other.

"And when were you gonna tell me you quit football?" I asked. His smile faded away and he said "never." In a serious tone.

"Wow, harsh," I said acting hurt

He responded with "I mean it just doesn't seem that important"

"Not that important? You were literally going to play college ball." I was very confused

"Eh" "Ok I didn't tell you about football but when were you going to tell me about you getting into a fight?" He asked. I got on my feet and stopped floating to look at him.

"How did you know about that?" I asked him because it was not mentioned at dinner and I doubt I said something and forgot.

"Steven told us" he responded

"Oh my fucking god I'm never telling him anything again," I said honestly pretty pissed off  "I tried to explain it to my mom but she wouldn't even listen she just grounded me without letting me explain. Sometimes I wish Susannah was my mom." I complained

He got serious again and said "no you don't, trust me" I was confused but just responded with "yes I do?" He got up and was starting to walk away. I was so confused. What did I say wrong? And why was he so bothered by whatever it was that I said?

Before he could walk back inside Steven and Jeremiah walked outside as he was gonna enter.

"Oh hey, Conrad you ready to go to the bonfire?" Jeremiah asked clearly hyped up
He said hi to me then they left. I decided to swim for a bit more thinking about what just happened. I could not make it make sense no matter how hard I tried.

But also knowing Conrad, no matter how hard I can beg him to tell me I know he will not. I went back to floating for about 5 more minutes until I went back inside.

*639 words*