The Gift

I couldn't sleep because of what had happened. Eventually, I was able to get sine rest but it was late so when Belly woke me up very early in the morning with all her noise it wasn't the nicest thing ever.

I went to get something for breakfast after I got ready and saw Belly talking with Jere.

"Hey guys," I said. They both greeted me then Belly asked us if we wanted to get muffins. I honestly had nothing better to do so I said yes and Jere did too. He told one of us to go look for the keys in Conrad's room. I said I would.

As soon as I entered it felt weird. I felt like I was invading his privacy on purpose or somehow ruining his room. I don't even know how but he always kept it perfectly clean and organized.

I started to go through his drawer looking for the keys when I found a box. Honestly, at first, I thought it was some sort of wedding ring because of the box and I also knew that was impossible so my thought was just "wedding ring?" in a confused way.

I honestly should have just minded my own business but I opened it anyways. As I said I was expecting to find a ring but instead, it was a star pendant necklace. Stars had always been my favorite and he knew that which made me wonder a tiny bit if it was for me.

I didn't want to assume it was for me but then I saw a hand written letter. Not just any letter though, it was a happy birthday letter. Addressed to me. I doubted if I should open the letter or just leave it there.

I honestly thought it would be better to leave it but if I left it I would always wonder what it said. So I opened it. He was apologizing because of the argument we had gotten into and saying things like "I hope you like your gift"

At one point in the letter, he said something about a different gift and that there were two. One was the necklace and the other was a stuffed animal. A dog to be exact. The weird thing was that I didn't see any stuffed animals in the drawer then I looked around his room and found it on the bed.

I was thinking two things, the first was I knew he couldn't have forgotten my birthday but the second was that I was so confused about why he just kept the gifts.

I had completely forgotten about the keys at this point until I heard Jere coming up the stairs. "Did you find them?" he yelled on his way to the room.

I started to panic and put everything back except I took a photo of the necklace to try to find it on the internet later.

I grabbed the keys and bumped into him as I walked out.

"Yup I got them," I said trying to smile after what I had found. We went to go get the muffins and they were absolutely delicious.

Once we came back I decided to start trying to find it. It took me a grand total of 56 minutes, but I found it. It was from some brand called Jewelry Joint.

"Jewelry Joint: Silver Pendant Star Necklace.
Cost: $79.99
Color: White."

"Damn, why would he buy an 80-dollar necklace and write a whole letter just to say he forgot?" I said to myself.

As I was looking at more photos of it my mom and Susannah called everyone into the kitchen. Steven was the first one then Conrad, then me, then Belly, and lastly Jere.

"Sooo what's this about?" I asked

"We are all going on a vacation together!" Susannah said.

I remembered me and Belly talking about this and was surprised to see she was right.

"Aren't we already on vacation?" Steven asked

"Well technically yes but if we go somewhere all of us will be on vacation in some place new." My mom responded

"So we are going on vacation while we are on vacation?" I questioned my mom laughing.

"Yeah, I guess, anyway we have brought it down to 2 places and you four are gonna vote. If it ends up a tie Susannah or I will vote. Mom explained

"Okay everyone get a small piece of paper and depending on where you want to go write it down. Your options are Los Angeles or New York City." Susannah told us

I had personally voted for LA because I knew they had a lot of cool stuff there and that the weather was nice.

My mom counted the votes and said "It's 3 against 1"

I couldn't tell if I was part of the three or if I was the one.

"We are going to Los Angeles! Conrad, Y/N, and Belly vote for there." she finally said.

"Realy guys?" Jere asked and we all laughed

"So when are we going?" I asked

"We want to leave next Monday which is in 5 days and come back Sunday," Susannah answered.

I was honestly super excited to go. As we were all talking about it I looked over at Conrad and remembered the whole gift thing. I still couldn't understand why he said he forgot.

I would have tried to make more sense of it but I doubt I would have been able to. Also I had better things to focus on, like Los Angeles.

*923 words*