Chapter 1: A Normal Day...Maybe?

I woke up floating.
"What-?" I started to ask my older sister, Eska, but she interrupted.
"It was time to wake up and I decided to play a joke on you. It's been so long since I've used my gift..."
Right as she said that, when I was distracted (of course), she tucked in her hands and I fell to the ground--face first.
"ESKA!" I said angrily, "Someone could see you," I said nervously rubbing the welt starting to form on my chin.
"Relax, the power is out, besides you looked so cute sleeping. Cute little Jaya!," she teased.
I rolled my eyes and laughed. My sister could levitate anything--from objects to people! It didn't matter who or what it was. She could do it all!
"I wish my gift was as awesome as ours," I said, envious.
"Your gift I awesome," she said showing a cheery smile. "If your gift isn't awesome, then I don't know what a majestical, amazing, magical thingy could be!"
My gift.....I could envision anything in fire or ice and it would appear that way in reality. I guess it was cool, but Eska's was way better.
"Your gift, Eska," I muttered.
"Huh?"
"Nothing," I sighed.
"Uh-huh," she said rolling her eyes.
"So what is going on with school today?" I asked her, trying to change the subject.
" Semester exams, wish me luck."
"You'll do fine!," I said, "but if you don't you won't get into college and then I'll have to live with you for another three years!" I said teasingly.
She threw her pencil pouch at me.
"Just kidding, you'll do fine."
"Thanks," she replied, " I just get so stressed easily. It's hard for me sometimes to take exams and stuff, because I know if I don't do well it's my fault."
"It's not your fault your in highschool....or have magical powers."
I realized this was the wrong thing to say right after I said it. Too bad I didn't realize it before I said it.
"Jaya?" My sister asked. Her cheerful smile sliding into something else. Something I had never seen on her before. Something that made her look ages older than a 16 year old sophomore.
Doubt, anger, and a slight mix of anger.
"Yeah?" I said cautiously, no need to get her more riled up.
"You know not to tell anyone about our gifts, right?" Eska but her lip. Was this a joke? "Of course! You've only been preaching it to me for as long as I can remember!" I laughed to try to break the tension. There was still no smile on her face.
"Good," she nodded tersely, and walked out of our cramped bedroom, leaving a certain someone bewildered.