Chapter 7 (Monday)

"That's it, I am officially done with spy homework," Ana announced, thunking her pencil to her bedroom desk. She glanced at the alarm clock on the desk's corner; it was barely past noon.

Dryda, in her own room across the hall, didn't make any response. There was only the soft ticking of a pen writing across paper. Ana frowned. How hard might it be for Dryda to use paper, something that was once part of a tree? Did that actually bother her?

"Dryda?" Ana got up, crossing the hall to Dryda's room. She didn't step inside; Dryda had a pile of blankets folded on the floor, taken from the bare bed. "I'm gonna go out," Ana said. "I think they're playing some soccer in the field behind us, if you wanna come."

Dryda glanced up from her worksheet, but shook her head. "No, I think I'm going to finish my homework for science first. Did you know there are fungi roots in all the cheese and bread you eat?"

Ana wrinkled her nose. "Ummm, no? And I don't think I wanted to?"

Dryda laughed, her plastic seat wobbling. "Don't worry, they won't hurt you. Not unless you can actually see the mold."

"Is that what you're talking about in science? Moldy food?"

"Oh no, we are talking about microorganisms. It's very fun. For example, we did an experiment with yeast and sugar, and it made the entire room smell like baking bread! And next week, we are going to make homemade yogurt," she hummed. "I think I might actually try some."

Ana raised an eyebrow. "Your science class sounds a lot like a cooking class. And I wish I could join you. In spying, we're doing a worksheet on hacking computers. It is the most boring thing in the world."

Dryda just shrugged. "Maybe it'll get better. You might get to spy on Niko sometime."

Ana covered her mouth. "Dryda! You wouldn't--"

"What? He was kind of a jerk. I think it would be funny to see him unable to see you, watching him."

Ana snorted. "He does kind of deserve that, doesn't he? Mister 'I have the best chance of finding it.' Oh well," she sighed. "At least we can forget about all that after we get crushed in the face by eleventh grade."

Dryda nodded seriously. "Lots of these Monday night activities could be improved if we faced grades closer to us."

"Yeah, for sure." They both fell silent. "Well, have fun with your science. See you later."

"Bye, Ana. Don't forget to save the face-crushing for tonight."

She was out the door and walking down the hallway before she actually registered what Dryda had said. Bursting out laughing, she passed Tara and Tamy cross-legged in the common room, both giving her strange looks.

***

A blaring horn announced the beginning of the match; Ana covered her ears and winced. Her poor eardrums. Niko--looking all dramatic with black paint under his eyes and a quiver of arrows on his back--glanced over at her, and she grudgingly cast an illusion over him to make him invisible. Dryda and Bella had already disappeared ahead of them. Ana glanced around at the towering jungle trees, planting her hands on her hips. Why not use her illusions for something besides invisibility?

So, she strode forward, fully visible. Niko tapped her shoulder. She wasn't startled at the touch--even though she couldn't see him, she could vaguely sense her illusion covering him, like a faintly buzzing radio.

"What're you doing?" he hissed, "you're supposed to be invisible."

Ana shrugged. "I thought we agreed our plans were very tentative," she motioned around them at the large ferns, tree trunks, and robotic calls of fake birds--even clouds of mist. The district's giant outdoor arena was a technological marvel in real-life special effects, used expressly to make sweltering jungles for sixth graders to almost die in.