Chapter 1: Back Home in LA

Marcy Wu is a webcomic artist, age 23, who was pretty well known already, if they did say so themself. They mainly spent all their time drawing, or on the internet, reading or writing the occasional fanfiction...

Growing up, they didn't have many friends. They did have one, though: Sasha Waybright. Who, to most people, might seem a little intense and intimidating at first, but you grew to love that about him.

Marcy did have to move when they were in their early teens, though, and said goodbye to Sasha. The two of them kept in touch since then, calling and texting each other, though not very often anymore. That was, until one random spring day where Marcy got a call out of nowhere from their best friend.

Fast forward a week later, and they're on their way to the airport to go visit Sasha in LA, California. Sasha got the day off of work and was going to pick them up once they got there.

.-=-.

"OMG, is that Marcy Wu?!" They heard someone exclaim to their friend as Marcy walked through the airport, trying to not miss their flight; they were already a few minutes later than they wanted to be.

They gave the fan a small awkward wave before heading into the security check, soon after boarding the plane and heading back to their hometown.

One long flight and too little caffeine later, they walked out of the airport, shielding their eyes partly from the bright sun. They glanced around for a second before their eyes landed on someone with short, blond hair and cerulean eyes waiting inside a red convertible. When she looked up from his phone, he exclaimed.

"Marce!"

"Sashaaaa!" They ran towards the car, getting in and giving him a big hug. "I missed you so much!"

"Long time no see!" She smiled, putting the car into drive.

.-=-.

They talked the whole way back to Sasha's apartment, catching up on both of their lives and discussing what they've both been doing for the past ten years.

Sasha's phone buzzed, receiving a text message from someone who's name Marcy didn't recognize.

"Who's that? If you don't mind me asking."

"Ah, that's my ex. We actually just broke up a few months ago," Sasha said.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that!"

"Nah it's alright, we decided we were better off as friends anyway. She's really someone special, though. I couldn't just let her go forever and never see or talk to her again."

"What's her name?"

"Anne Boonchuy."

"Huh, kinda sounds familiar..."

"Oh, really?" Sasha raised a brow, but they could tell she was intrigued by that.

"I'm not completely sure, but maybe? I dunno."

Sasha let out a hum. "Well I'm sure I've told you about her before, so maybe that's why?"

"Yeah, maybe."

.-=-.

(The next day)

"Hey everyone! It's Marcy Wu. Welcome to this week's livestream!"

Every week Marcy liked to check in with their fans, see how they're doing, what they liked about the last chapter that they posted, what they're looking forward to.. Stuff like that. This week, they just so happened to be somewhere different, and some people noticed.

"Oh yeah! So I'm actually visiting my childhood friend right now, hence why the background is different!"

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, and Sasha got up from her place on the couch where he wouldn't be seen on the livestream, since he was a little camera shy.

Marcy continued on with their livestream, and what's upcoming with the new chapter (with little to no spoilers), that was, until a person walked into the living room, right in the view of the background of the camera. Marcy didn't even notice until the livechat started going crazy.

"ooh, who is that??"

"is that your childhood friend?"

"Marcy, you have something to tell us???"

"Oh my gosh, don't pry into their love life"

"but who is that?"

"Did you not hear them say they're visiting a friend?"

"oh yeah"

Seeing this, Marcy got confused and looked over their shoulder. Sure enough, there was a beautiful person, laughing at Sasha, who was just out of sight. Marcy blushed and went quiet for a minute. The livechat was cackling at this.

Not realizing they were spacing out, the person looked back over at them, in result, making their face grow even warmer, and they squished themself back into the couch, hiding.

"Pfft, already found someone new?" The woman whisper-teased Sasha.

"What? No, they're just my childhood friend. They're visiting here for a week."

Due to embarrassment, Marcy said nothing, just whispered back to the livestream, "Okay gotta go bye!" And ended it. As you can probably guess, this made it seem like yes, whoever that was in the livestream, they were dating. Or, at least, Marcy liked them.

They got many comments regarding that topic that night, most of them just teasing them in a way that a friend would. They sighed as they were trying to fall asleep, their phone buzzing uncontrollably, so they silenced it.

"This might be a problem..."

a/n: Hi! Welcome to Half of the Internet Thinks We're Dating! This was heavily inspired by a pin I found on Pinterest of AU ideas, so thank you to whoever came up with the gist of the plot! I hope you enjoyed chapter 1 (Sorry if it was confusing, hopefully it'll make better sense in the next chapters), and thank you for reading it!! If you liked it, stay tuned for chapter 2 coming on Friday :D